Worklog G-Wii Yellow

Here we go!

I'm not 100% on what I am doing but figuring it out as I go. I have some great mentors here and really appreciate them answering all my crazy questions! Thank you G-Man for printing the case for me and answering my questions!
Cyframe thanks for helping me out with all the troubleshooting so far! I need all the help I can get around here haha!

I've taken off the caps that I don't need so far and marked my cutting area off. I will be cutting once we complete our office workstation!

The G-Wii will be yellow and match the yellow switch light (buttons being all white). As you might tell... yellow is my favorite color!

Attachments

Trim complete (Wii + MX Chip)! I went from 240 and worked up to 1000 grit. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or if the cut looks okay!

Attachments

Ethan

that trim is not going to fit in the gwii case

below the cpu and above the gpu you have to trim closer in order to fit beside the batteries

Ethan

just be careful to avoid the nand lines above the gpu and below the cpu you gotta get pretty close to the screw holes

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You're taking it slow, going through all the right steps. You're doing great. As others have said you'll need to trim it a bit smaller to make it fit, you can see with test placement of the batteries. You can confirm you've sanded enough with the resistance test. Measure the resistance from each voltage point to ground and none should be less than 20 ohms. Going up to 1000 grit I've never had a wii fail the resistance test but it is still an important one to test before applying power, always.

You're taking it slow, going through all the right steps. You're doing great. As others have said you'll need to trim it a bit smaller to make it fit, you can see with test placement of the batteries. You can confirm you've sanded enough with the resistance test. Measure the resistance from each voltage point to ground and none should be less than 20 ohms. Going up to 1000 grit I've never had a wii fail the resistance test but it is still an important one to test before applying power, always.
Alright copy that. I will trim and make sure it fits with the batteries in that case and go from there. Thank you!

Edit: Small update:
Mounted couple of the boards.

Attachments

Last edited:

enso

Here we go!

I'm not 100% on what I am doing but figuring it out as I go. I have some great mentors here and really appreciate them answering all my crazy questions! Thank you G-Man for printing the case for me and answering my questions!
Cyframe thanks for helping me out with all the troubleshooting so far! I need all the help I can get around here haha!

I've taken off the caps that I don't need so far and marked my cutting area off. I will be cutting once we complete our office workstation!

The G-Wii will be yellow and match the yellow switch light (buttons being all white). As you might tell... yellow is my favorite color!
When this is finished, I would love to buy it, keep on working! It will be great.

When this is finished, I would love to buy it, keep on working! It will be great.
Hey thanks! That is a super nice compliment but not sure if I could part ways with my first finished wii portable :).

I will keep you and others posted though in terms of progress!

Speaking of which here are some button caps to help keep all the tac switches matching with the white button theme!

Attachments

Last edited:
Alright! Update time!

I got me and my wife's work desk in the office together and ready to start jumping on this G-Wii some more!

Cut the board more on top and bottom to fit and made sure to stay away from important nand lines!

Grinded LDO chip and will slide it off tomorrow with some solder!

Attachments

Drilled out the holes on the bottom of the case and got the button caps to fit! Not perfect but good enough for now.

Wired up the PD board and got more to go but its progress :)

@Ethan
@SparkleBear
@Cyframe

You guys are the reason I have gotten so far! Of course along with all the amazing documentation on this site and @Gman for the 3d printing and creating this masterpiece! Thank you all for helping me so far and answering all my questions!

Attachments

Ethan

looking good man, glad to see your progress and developing skills, and also your developing work setup!

Huge update today!!!

Huge thanks to @Gman & @SparkleBear helping me troubleshoot/guidance!

I took off the cap to the video driver board and connected the PMS 5V. Made sure all my voltage points were good on the Wii and did a test. Blue screen win! Then didn't realize this until later that I had to plug in my daughter board and switch video output lol! Thought something was wrong when testing the boot. Then I also had a bridge connection with the USB on the Wii that he pointed out and then after fixing that.. I also needed to reformat my USB to 32k! Lol.. I was getting too excited!

And then bam!!! Boot baby!!!

Got the led wired up for later as well.

I am on a high right now and really am excited to keep on going. Got a surprise coming up too... I'm really excited about that...

Next will be the controls wired up! Stay tuned!

Attachments