Model G-Wii CAD files

So I recently bought one of the G-Boy kits from the bitbuilt store and was planning on building a G-Boy, but then I noticed that G-Wii cases are being sold also and decided I wanted to try to build a G-Wii instead. I already noticed that most of the G-Boy kit contains the same boards needed for the G-Wii, I just need to buy things like a 5' display, batteries, etc. My main question would be can I use the guide for the G-Boy when it comes to wiring things together? Are there any major differences in wiring the display or things like the dual-stage triggers?

This project will be my first portable, but I have enough experience in console modding with things like the N64 Ultra-HDMI, GBA screens, etc. to feel confident enough to give this a try. I'm wanting to attempt the G-Wii instead of the G-Boy for more wiring room, gamecube button layout, overall form factor.

waldie

So I recently bought one of the G-Boy kits from the bitbuilt store and was planning on building a G-Boy, but then I noticed that G-Wii cases are being sold also and decided I wanted to try to build a G-Wii instead. I already noticed that most of the G-Boy kit contains the same boards needed for the G-Wii, I just need to buy things like a 5' display, batteries, etc. My main question would be can I use the guide for the G-Boy when it comes to wiring things together? Are there any major differences in wiring the display or things like the dual-stage triggers?

This project will be my first portable, but I have enough experience in console modding with things like the N64 Ultra-HDMI, GBA screens, etc. to feel confident enough to give this a try. I'm wanting to attempt the G-Wii instead of the G-Boy for more wiring room, gamecube button layout, overall form factor.
You will be able to use the G-Boy Manual as a guide for most parts of the G-Wii. Differences that are going to show up are as follows:

- Screen wiring will be slightly different as the 5' screen has a completely different driver board. (the schematic is posted somewhere on here, or I'll repost it)
- You will need to buy: 5' display, more batteries, a standard GC+, soft and hard tacts of various sizes, and a U-Amp
- Batteries will be soldered too directly
- Shoulder buttons are a combo of two different tacts super glued to different places (so you just wire up analog and digital press to different tacts)

I'm likely forgetting some things. But people will be happy to help you if you run into problems. Be sure to check out the GWii Parts List to make sure you have everything. Also check on Noah's GWii Streams for help on assembly. Don't treat those videos as the end all be all guide, as that's not what they are supposed to be. But it should be helpful for you.

You will need to buy: 5' display, more batteries, a standard GC+, soft and hard tacts of various sizes, and a U-Amp
So are you saying the GC+ from the G-Boy kit won't work for the G-Wii?

P.S. Thank you so much for the reply! This will be very helpful when I finally get started on this project.

waldie

So are you saying the GC+ from the G-Boy kit won't work for the G-Wii?

P.S. Thank you so much for the reply! This will be very helpful when I finally get started on this project.
Yes. Unfortunately the GC+ for the GBoy is much larger than a standard one. This is just to make the GBoy a more streamlined process. But fitting it inside of a GWii case will just be a pain. I'm sure that you could somehow trim up the GBoy GC+, but you're better off just getting a standard one.

waldie

Gotcha.

One more thing, I was just poking around the bitbuilt store and noticed this dual-action tact: https://store.bitbuilt.net/tmhf07-dual-action-tactile-switch-pack-of-2/
I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to use those for the triggers instead, though the 4 tact method for the G-Wii might be more preferable depending on how sensitive those are.
Two tacts is going to give you a more satisfying trigger press. Although I have no idea how a single dual tact would feel in the case. I imagine it wouldn't be good. It was designed with the idea of using two tacts, so it's just better to follow it.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I've updated the GWii back to fit the new PMS-PD and RVL-PMS-2
Gwii_rev_2_2.png

Attachments

I've updated the GWii back to fit the new PMS-PD and RVL-PMS-2
View attachment 17169
Just checked out that new 4layertech store. Really glad to easily be able to acquire those parts again. was wondering if this case fits the new U-amp 2 as well.

Ethan

Just checked out that new 4layertech store. Really glad to easily be able to acquire those parts again. was wondering if this case fits the new U-amp 2 as well.
The Uamp is just glued or sticky taped into place so yes it does fit

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yes it is the same LCD panel, just a different driver board.
Ok, thank you very much

Is it also possible to add IR LEDs into the bottom of the G-Wii in order to mimic a wiimote?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok, thank you very much

Is it also possible to add IR LEDs into the bottom of the G-Wii in order to mimic a wiimote?
100%. IIRC 915nm IR diodes will do, you'd just have to add the holes into the face of the model.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Oh and word of advice, if you're using 3mm or 5mm diodes, make sure the tip of the diode doesn't protrude from the case too much or they will interfere with each other. I'd also recommend using diffused ones, I found them a bit more reliable.

Oh and word of advice, if you're using 3mm or 5mm diodes, make sure the tip of the diode doesn't protrude from the case too much or they will interfere with each other. I'd also recommend using diffused ones, I found them a bit more reliable.
Aight, thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it

Viilmo

Portables
Sorry if this is obvious, but how thick needs the copper sheet to be?