G-Boy won't turn on after soldering the USB data lines for the 10th time

I've had the pleasure of my G-Boy turning on a couple of times. But so far I've just got one Mario Kart race and one F-Zero race done. After ever time I've used it, something came loose. Which I know has to do with my sub optimal soldering skills. I've fixed the controls that came loose and I've attached the the composite video to the C57 line instead of the capacitor (because it came loose twice) and added some hot glue there. The only "cable" that came loose multiple times is the USB data lines. This morning I've re-soldered them for the Xth time, but now my G-Boy won't turn on.

I've tried turning it on with the charger cable attached: No luck
I've measured connection between the ground USB PCB and PMS PCD: They are connected
I've measured the charger pad: 9V
I've measured the batteries: Both at 2.9V at the moment

Except for the charger pad and the B+, there are no voltage readings on the PMS pads.
The LED is off.

What can I do to find and hopefully fix the problem?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Some clear pictures of the wiring, pcbs, and wii would help.

Keep in mind that I learned to solder during this built ;)

If I need to make other pictures, please let me know.

I feel like I'm super close to having a working G-Boy... So excited!!

Thank you for your help!
IMG_20200816_155138.jpgIMG_20200816_155153.jpgIMG_20200816_155208.jpgIMG_20200816_155220.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
First observation is that you should not be using thick wire for the small solder pads. You can use the magnet wire for the connections to the USBc board and the rgb led. Also you can clean the burnt flux residue with isopropyl alcohol. Check if the usb data connections from the wii are shorting. Maybe you burnt the insulation on the wire where it starts to twist.

I've replaced the thicker wire with magnet wire for the connections to the USBc board (except 5V, ground and charge) and also to the RGB LED. I've cleaned the boards I worked on with isopropyl alcohol and replaced the magnet wires for the USB data connections. Still doesn't turn on. Shouldn't it also turn on if I don't connect the USB data wires? What bad things could happen if I connect Data+ to Data- and turn on the Wii?

If there are any things I can do to debug, please let me know.

IMG_20200816_215311.jpgIMG_20200816_215357.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It should show a screen with no USB wired also.

Because the USB C board is charging the batteries and I can transfer games to the internal USB, I'm assuming the board is still fine. Don't know if it could be just the button or button wiring? Do you have some steps that you follow to narrow down the problem that I could try?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Make sure the batteries are fully charged (up to 4.2v). 2.9v is dead battery and it cannot possibly power the wii, not sure if you charged it since initial message.