Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
This thing is epic. I've been considering trying a Wii portable for a while and this does all the work for me. When will these be off pre-order? Im curious because I ordered one and would like an ETA. (I've had 2 64drives on order from Marshall since July 2018 and they haven't arrived yet. So I'm a little weary when it comes to buying these kinds of things. Although I still pre-ordered this because this is too cool.)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This thing is epic. I've been considering trying a Wii portable for a while and this does all the work for me. When will these be off pre-order? Im curious because I ordered one and would like an ETA. (I've had 2 64drives on order from Marshall since July 2018 and they haven't arrived yet. So I'm a little weary when it comes to buying these kinds of things. Although I still pre-ordered this because this is too cool.)
We are shooting for 6-8 week delivery. There are many factors that will affect this like the magnitude of how many orders there are. I'm committed to getting them in your hands ASAP. I understand your worries, this is a fairly low-risk pre order as all the materials we need are in stock at any quantity and we have already delivered 8 units from the pre-release so we have a track record. We'll have a shipping time table finalized this month to clear any questions/concerns up. Thanks for ordering!

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
4F3914AC-432B-481F-ACBD-E894B7134299.jpeg

Can’t wait to assemble it!

Noah

retired
Portables
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know you'll all enjoy the kit very much, it's a really fun build.

Here's everything you'll need to know about the kits! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask here. We'll also have the guide available in the coming weeks for you to checkout before you receive the kits. Hopefully you will find it useful during the assembly :)

maxy

Got mine ordered! So will there be a build guide included or posted somewhere to go along with the kit?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Got mine ordered! So will there be a build guide included or posted somewhere to go along with the kit?
Yes there will be. It will be available in the coming weeks.

Tess

Hi guys!

Just ordered the kit!

Absolute electronics noob here, I've nibbled around the edges a bit learning things at events like Defcon but haven't ever approached anything like this.

I'm super excited to get started. If anyone has recommendations on preferred buttons, I'd really appreciate a link.

I'll chronicle my experience here on the forum. Hope to learn a lot and also help others.

Tess

Oh yeah, forgot to ask - I'm testing the CLIP 3d printer from Carbon3D. Is there any chance I could possibly print the enclosure as a test for the printer? Glad to ship several samples to the folks doing the heavy lifting on the project...

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What's the compatibility like with Wii games? I'm assuming the motherboard sees it as a gamecube controller plugged into the rear port.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_with_traditional_control_schemes
Compatibility is great. Check out the GC2WIIMOTE hack. It allows a GC controlled (or GC+) to emulator the wiimote for games that dont work with the GC controller.
Oh yeah, forgot to ask - I'm testing the CLIP 3d printer from Carbon3D. Is there any chance I could possibly print the enclosure as a test for the printer? Glad to ship several samples to the folks doing the heavy lifting on the project...
The case files are not available to download

Hi guys!

Just ordered the kit!

Absolute electronics noob here, I've nibbled around the edges a bit learning things at events like Defcon but haven't ever approached anything like this.

I'm super excited to get started. If anyone has recommendations on preferred buttons, I'd really appreciate a link.

I'll chronicle my experience here on the forum. Hope to learn a lot and also help others.
I usually get the DSL buttons from amazon or ebay. If they dont have the ones you want you can also get a broken DSL cheap to salvage the buttons from