G-boy rev 3 vga problem?

BasicBass

DO NOT BUY/SELL WITH USER
Also you have alot of the wire exposed on your via wiring so I would shorten it by a long shot aswell since a short may be an issue

1NK

Ok, well good news and bad news. Good news, I got the audio working perfectly. Bad news, A couple seconds into wind waker the screen went black and now nothing shows up on the screen.

1NK

Every time I turn it on now the screen flashes once and then stays off.

BasicBass

Possibly a u10 issue. May have been a line on the vga that came loose. if not those two I would check power lines and make sure you did not short anything

BasicBass

I would check in this order.
Vga lines specifically the h and v sync lines
u10 to make sure that did not come loose
any blobs that could be shorting something out

1NK

After some testing, the screen now works again, but only in and out of use. What I mean is that it can work for about three minutes until it turns off. I was hoping this could be a thermal issue somehow and when I put the wii motherboard up against the heat sync then it would work like it should, but I don't know that for sure. For now things seem to be working, and tomorrow I'll see about tidying up the wiring, as well as the mx chip relocation. I'll check what you recommended to tomorrow.

BasicBass

Dope. And that sounds like a thermal issue. If you have the thermistor hooked up that is the thermal runaway protection. If not it could be the wii shutting off, but without knowing if you did the steps for assembling the cooler properly there is no knowing what happened.
1. Did you remove the clear adhesive on the copper plate
2. did you add thermal paste between the fan/heatsink and the copper plate
3. Is there thermal compound between the wii cpu and gpu under the copper sheet
4.is your fan hooked up
If all that seems good I highly doubt that it can be thermal as the gboys cooling is more than adequate for a 4 layer wii

1NK

Well I was testing all of this with the Wii board just sitting in the case, not up against the heat-sync or anything, which is why I was hoping it was a thermal issue. Also, am I supposed to put thermal paste inbetween the heat sync and the copper plate? I thought it was just inbetween the cpu, gpu, and the copper plate.

1NK

Also I don't think I have any kind of thermistor hooked up, unless its surface mount on the Wii board itself.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You are correct, you only need paste between the CPU / GPU and the copper plate. If it is a cooling issue, the entire system should shut down, including the screen and the fan. Can you send full pics of your wiring (power, VGA, U10, all that good stuff)?

Attaching the thermistor is one of the last steps in the manual. If it's not connected, the PMS should never be able to shut itself off like that.

1NK

Ok, I am back from soldering the mx chip, but when I go to the homebrew page on the gboy I only see BBLoader beta and Nintendont. I dont see the CheckMX app I need to verify whether my MX chip is good.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
You should really update to RVLoader, BBLoader is way outdated by this point.

Once you install RVLoader, you'll know the MX is all good if there is a clock at the top of the main screen.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
From the RVLoader FAQ thread:

Q - Can I install RVLoader if I have BBLoader already installed or my Wii is already trimmed?
A - Yes. Before copying the files, rename the "bbloader" folder on your USB drive into "rvloader" (without quotes) and then copy the files over from the RVLoader pack and run RVLoader from the homebrew menu. Follow the steps from RVLoader's main thread.

1NK

After putting the files on the gboy, it booted up asking if I wanted to install rvloader. Just to be clear, I patch out wifi for sure, and enable vga?

1NK

No matter what button I press, the enable vga option stays at no.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
You should just be able to press right on the D-Pad while the arrow is pointing to the VGA option, I've never heard of it not being an option before.

1NK

I can see the option, but my right inputs on the d-pad aren't doing anything.