G-boy Rev 3 Board Trim Too Deep?

Jmoney

Hey there! I'm finally getting around to putting together the G-boy and am a little worried I trimmed the Wii board too far.
In the attached image, the red outline shows the OMGWTF trim with the blue line showing what I did on the top side.
I went straight through the center of the 3 "DA_" components circled in pink. The G-boy trim is very similar/ slightly different than this, but I noticed that these 3 components are still intact in later steps of the G-boy guide. Nothing appears to get wired to them directly so I'm uncertain whether they are used or needed in any capacity.
Am I still okay to proceed or do I need a new Wii board? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Gboy.png

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Those three components do not matter, but it looks like you sliced through your NAND traces. Here's a rough outline of said traces (thin red lines toward the top, sorry for MS Paint quality):
2022_05_06_13_46_45_The_Definitive_Wii_Trimming_Guide_BitBuilt_Giving_Life_to_Old_Consoles.png

It is possible to rewire these traces, but it's not the easiest task in the world. Here's what a similar repair looks like (Thanks @SparkleBear for the resources lmao):

Jmoney

Those three components do not matter, but it looks like you sliced through your NAND traces. Here's a rough outline of said traces (thin red lines toward the top, sorry for MS Paint quality):
View attachment 22364

It is possible to rewire these traces, but it's not the easiest task in the world. Here's what a similar repair looks like (Thanks @SparkleBear for the resources lmao):
This is extremely helpful, thank you so much!
I will check again when I get home but am pretty confident I indeed did slice through those traces.
It's just those 6 locations that are critical to be spliced? I can definitely handle that. I'll try to provide more updates on this as well as final results as I go along. Thank you again.

Jmoney

Update:
Thanks to CrazyGadget for providing exactly what I needed within seconds of my original post. With that info I was able to determine which NAND traces I had damaged using a multimeter (there were 5 in total). I reestablished each discontinuous trace on my board with fine enamel-coated copper wire as shown in the attached image. Note that the single wire in the middle of the board is part of U10 relocation and unrelated to this issue.

I also included an image of the mental map I made after troubleshooting with the meter that I followed while doing the solder job. Disclaimer that making these connections can be extremely challenging depending on your quality of tools and experience. I definitely struggled on a few solder joints here!

All new connections appear to be good after a final meter test, but I have yet to assemble the full G-boy, so I intend to update again when I got to that point.
Cheers all!

20220506_164833.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
Just a quick note, make sure to remove any components that got sliced through while trimming

Jmoney

Just a quick note, make sure to remove any components that got sliced through while trimming
I sanded down the perimeter and verified no shorts on voltage legs. I'd be worried that removing perimeter stuff could actually cause shorts (unless I re-sanded). Also, no capacitors left on trim border. Is there some other reason I'm missing?

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
Having half-sanded through components can cause internal shorts, it's not the end of the world if your resistances all still look good and everything powers on and works nicely, but it's typically good practice to just get rid of any of that stuff along the edge. I do it with every one of my trims post-sanding and haven't bridged the outer layers by doing so, if that means anything.