G-Boy No Longer Boots/Black Screen and Does Not Appear to Charge

Update: The screen is working and I got the G-Boy to boot again, but only while on battery power. Plugging in a USB cable causes it to shut down and it still does not seem to charge.
The G-Boy was my first major modding project and I managed to finish it this past weekend. It was working fine for a couple of days until it started to randomly shut off/reset.​
When I opened it up, I saw that the wire connecting to the SCL pad on the PMS had come loose. After I reattached it, I tried turning it on and the fans would spin up, the screen would quickly flash white, but then go dark again. The G-Boy does not appear to get to the BBLoader boot up sequence, and, despite the brief screen activity, I cannot get anything to appear on the screen, even with the display controls connected.​
Additionally, it appears that the G-Boy will also no longer charge. When plugging it in, the LED will light up, but it will be very faint compared to when it used to charge or when it is normally on. I am, however, still able to access the USB stick through the G-Boy.​
I have been looking over the internals and no other wires appear to be loose (even with my bad soldering). I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. My only guess is that the loose SCL wire might have touched something else inside.​
I do have a small multimeter at the house, but I am not very familiar with using one and would not really know what to check.​

Attachments

Last edited:

MechX

Hello,
I'm no expert BUT. Can you get a nice close up picture of the top board (USB/Charging Board) with the micro SD adaptor removed so we can see the wiring below.
As that's the charging system, between that and the power distribution board.

Now, when charging. In my experience, the light starts faint but after a few minutes it becomes a lot brighter. Have you observed this?

MechX

Sorry for not replying. Haven't really had time to work on or even look at it.

Also, the light would say faint.
All those solder joints look cold to me. Give them a once over with the soldering iron. It may help.

It sounds like I have the same problem. Was going over each connection the solution? What did you do to get the screen to work?