Question G boy III questions

dotif

Hey I was working on my g boy rev III, and, uhh… might have put in a battery in backwards. Only the negative battery terminal touched the g boy’s positive terminal. Some smoke flew up out of the case (I had it open) but that’s about it. No sparks or anything. I re inserted the battery correctly and nothing happened. However, some of the rvl pms components were busted and completely fried. When running, it is extremely hot to the touch, I burned my fingers inspecting it. Am I done for, or do I just need a new rvl pms?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Photos would be helpful, but yeah I think you might have done the goof there. I don't remember if ye originale PMS had reverse polarity protection, but if you got magic smoke then something is definitely fucked.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Instant reverse polarity of the battery (no matter how short, even a few ms will do it) will blow up the BQ charging chip and render the board useless. You can buy a replacement here https://www.ti.com/product/BQ25895M

dotif

Ok thanks! Do I just need a new rvl pms board or is everything else boned?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If it was just the BQ chip that went, you can remove and replace it using a hot air station and the rest of the PMS should still be fine.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Nah, your cells will be fine