G-boy gamecube ports and hdmi out

Alvaro

Portables
Well my Gboy kit wont be here until next month because I ordered it on the 12th. But im still really hyped and have a question. I would love to add gamecube ports or an extension that can be connected. Is that possible. I was also thinking of an hdmi out to connect to a tv. Would all that be possible?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Well my Gboy kit wont be here until next month because I ordered it on the 12th. But im still really hyped and have a question. I would love to add gamecube ports or an extension that can be connected. Is that possible. I was also thinking of an hdmi out to connect to a tv. Would all that be possible?
Sure it would be possible, almost anything is possible. It would require using a GCVideo for Wii HDMI output, I think they call it Wiidual. Then youd need to dremel the hdmi port into the Gboy somewhere.

Alvaro

Portables
Sure it would be possible, almost anything is possible. It would require using a GCVideo for Wii HDMI output, I think they call it Wiidual. Then youd need to dremel the hdmi port into the Gboy somewhere.
Hmm I see. Wiidual seems to be expensive so I will hold off. What about adding the gamecube ports/port for adapter

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hmm I see. Wiidual seems to be expensive so I will hold off. What about adding the gamecube ports/port for adapter
Do you really want to have more people playing on a tiny 3.5" LCD?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You could easily find somewhere to put another USB-C port, or a lightning port to carry the 4 controller data lines, 3.3v, 5v, and ground. It won't be too useful without a video out function tho. You could potentially use a mini/micro HDMI port to carry composite video and audio in addition to the controller lines and have it all in one breakout box, but you'd lose some video quality. Up to you really.

Alvaro

Portables
Do you really want to have more people playing on a tiny 3.5" LCD?
LOL you are right. I still would want to attempt it even if it's not practical. Seems cool to do.
You could easily find somewhere to put another USB-C port, or a lightning port to carry the 4 controller data lines, 3.3v, 5v, and ground. It won't be too useful without a video out function tho. You could potentially use a mini/micro HDMI port to carry composite video and audio in addition to the controller lines and have it all in one breakout box, but you'd lose some video quality. Up to you really.
Losing video quality isn't ideal so I don't think I would want to. As for adding a USB-C port I think I will attempt this, it wouldn't hurt to have it.

Thank you both for the replies!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
LOL you are right. I still would want to attempt it even if it's not practical. Seems cool to do.

Losing video quality isn't ideal so I don't think I would want to. As for adding a USB-C port I think I will attempt this, it wouldn't hurt to have it.

Thank you both for the replies!
Using standardized port isnt great idea. If you plug in anything else besides your custom dongle, it'll probably go boom

Alvaro

Portables
I'm not sure, perhaps just full size hdmi port and if its possible to fit a cut up GC controller port
I'm scratching the video out for now, I just want a gamecube port dongle so why would I use full size hdmi. Any other ports that I could use that someone wouldnt connect other stuff by accident?

Noah

retired
Portables
I'm scratching the video out for now, I just want a gamecube port dongle so why would I use full size hdmi. Any other ports that I could use that someone wouldnt connect other stuff by accident?
I’ve heard that the Wii U GameCube adapter works on the Wii if you wire it up to the USB port. Might be a better option, then you’d just need to put a full-size or even mini/micro USB port somewhere on the case that’s wired to the secondary USB vias on your Wii.

Alvaro

Portables
I’ve heard that the Wii U GameCube adapter works on the Wii if you wire it up to the USB port. Might be a better option, then you’d just need to put a full-size or even mini/micro USB port somewhere on the case that’s wired to the secondary USB vias on your Wii.
That is actually extremely smart! Probably the best course of options so far, would this prevent the wii from going "boom" like gman said if you connected something else to it.

edit: It seems that it works with nintendont, but does it work with bbloader (also realized i posted all of this in the wrong section, sorry. someone can move it over)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What you could do is install a small switch somewhere that disconnects the internal controller's data line. Then you could launch Nintendont manually through the BBLoader homebrew section, enable the USB adapter in Nintendont settings, launch a game, then turn the internal controller data switch off and use the adapter. It's a bit of a rigmarole, but it'd work.