Worklog Fusion64

Noah

retired
Portables
My MGC project, finally revealed! This will be a full recreation of @TodorSauce's N64P, a project that truly inspired me to jump feet first into portablizing, in CAD as well as being fully 3D printed for neat internals and clean wire management. :D I've been debating over whether to keep this as original as possible, but I think that I will end up swapping the 3DS slider out for a joycon stick and the DS Lite ABXY for joycon d-pad buttons so that I don't need to sand/paint them to remove the letters (not to mention they'll already have the arrows, perfect for C buttons!)

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.12.09 PM.png

Thanks to the efforts of @Gman, we've found that the PIF can be relocated on the N64 meaning that we can trim the board much smaller than previously possible (a new N64 trimming guide will be coming this year to reflect these findings and finally give some much needed love to our favorite 64-bit console). Relocating the PIF gives us the ability to also cut off the 7805 step down regulator that provides 5V to the video encoder. Where will we get that 5V you may ask? Well, in this build it won't be needed at all since I'll be using UltraVGA paired with the glorious 800 x 480 4.3" IPS VGA displays that can now be purchased, however if this were a more traditional portable I would just grab it from the N64 PMS available in the store! :P With this setup and trim, I should be able to fit 4 18650 cells inside the portable giving me close to 5-6 hours of playtime. I'll have to test those numbers once I get everything wired up, but if my rough math is correct I should get somewhere in that range.

This is most likely the trim I will end up using in this project, however I think that I will end up trimming out the LDO that provides 2.54V for the RDRAM and relocate that somewhere else (or replace it if possible). The board has also been RAM swapped so no expansion pak is needed! This portable will have full compatibility with all N64 titles!

IMG_0588.jpeg

More to come as we draw closer to MGC!

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Insane. Can’t wait to try this trim out!

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
i was about to start with another N64P too,but now im going to wait for the new N64 trimming guide so i can use my Ultra VGA too, i hope it doesn't take too long for you guys to make this new guide,i love the N64 and can't wait to enter to this new era of N64 Portables.:)

Portables
i was about to start with another N64P too,but now im going to wait for the new N64 trimming guide so i can use my Ultra VGA too, i hope it doesn't take too long for you guys to make this new guide,i love the N64 and can't wait to enter to this new era of N64 Portables.:)
I’m new to the n64 what’s an ultra vga?

hey @Noah would you mind sending me a link to the 4.3" ips? I've been playing aorund with a 7" ips currently for my project but would love something smaller! Thanks!

Also more importantly it looks amazing! Great job!

Noah

retired
Portables

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
TodorSauce please come to MGC and sign it

Noah

retired
Portables

Noah

retired
Portables
Capture.PNG

Switched over to a switch stick! Unfortunately I also confirmed that I'll need to make custom PCBs for the buttons as the A/B button mount is too tall using the orange tacts and it sits on top of (and in the model kind of goes into) the battery. The original case was ~25mm IIRC and this one is already up to 30mm mostly thanks to the 2mm thick walls, but I don't really want to go any thicker than 30mm, so PCBs it is!

On another note, I've finally confirmed that the long awaited SixtyFlex PCB works! We're going to do a tweak to the design before we put it up on the store, but thanks to this it should be much easier, quicker, and cleaner to relocate the cart slot in an N64 portable. I'll be using it for this project as well so that I can have as few wires as possible in the case :D

tv.jpg

EDIT: Didn't want to break the rules and double post in my own worklog either, but here's the planned internals of the portables. I think that I should be able to either relocate or replace the LDO for the 2.54V for the RDRAM and I would put the N64 PMS board in its place. I'll most likely perform the 90 degree board bend as well so that it actually fits in the case :P With 4 18650s it's going to be a pretty tight fit, but I think it should be doable!

Capture.PNG

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: