[FS] Shinobi Scaler

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Hi all! I will be building a small run of fully assembled & tested Shinobi Scalers in April (after MGC). This thread is to gauge interest and determine how many PCBs I need to order.

topview.jpg

These boards will be built with 100% new parts and will come pre-programmed with the GBS Control firmware.

Price per board is 50USD + shipping.

Reply to this thread with the quantity you're interested in!

Please also specify whether you want the latest version of the GBS Control firmware, or an older 640*480 version.
If you intend to connect the scaler to a 640*480 screen, I recommend an older version of the software that outputs a true 640*480 signal, instead of the 720*480 generated by the latest version. (You can easily update the firmware with a USB-C cable if you change your mind.)

Background on the device:
Shinobi Scaler is an open source mini GBS8200 with integrated WiFi that runs Rama's GBS Control software. Basically, it can convert 15kHz RGBs video (240p, 480i) to 480p/720p/1080p VGA, with settings and adjustments done over WiFi. Perfect for getting crispy, sharp, progressive scan pixels from a SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, PS1, or PS2! Component and RGBHV input are not supported.

The board can be powered from 4-15V, or directly from 3.3V. Power consumption while converting 240p to 480p is ~2.15W (650mA at 3.3V).

Here's how SNES RGBs linedoubled to VGA looks on a 3.5" 640*480 panel (TVT0350K3C-I):
IMG_20221220_183410~2.jpg

And here is SNES RGBs linedoubled to VGA on a 5" 640*480 panel (ZJ050NA-08C):
IMG_20220924_175935~2.jpg

If you have any questions about the board or its capabilities, don't hesitate to ask! You can also check out the GitHub repo for more details. :)

Attachments

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
When are you looking to get payment?
These "preorders" will close around April 5 (or earlier if we hit 20 boards).

Then I'll collect payment once all the boards are built and tested. So payment will likely be due the last week of April, since quite a few parts have to ship from China.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Thanks for all the interest, everybody! We're at 16 boards so far. :awesome:

Preorders will close tomorrow (Friday, April 7). Then I'll be placing orders for the PCBs and components this weekend.

Btw, I've made some very small changes to the board design. First, the USB-C port will now work with both plug orientations. It didn't before just because I didn't want to add stubs to the aesthetically pleasing USB data lines. :P

usb.png

There's also a spot for me to mark which FW version the board is shipping with. And I've added more GND stitching vias in a few places.
ver.png

I tried some new builds of GBS Control and the recent edits by nyanpasu64 have really improved it! I still think the old 640*480 firmware has the potential for better image quality on the 4:3 VGA screens we use, but if you experience any sync, tearing, or latency issues, the latest firmware is worth trying.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
If it’s not too late I’ll take one! (640x480 firmware please!)

Last edited:

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
All right, Stoned makes 17! Preorders are now closed!

I'm covering the initial cost of parts because I don't feel comfortable charging you guys 3+ weeks before I'm able to ship devices. Keep an eye on the thread for updates-- I'll post photos of the parts and PCBs once they arrive, as well as pics of assembly/testing.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
I'll take one if it's still open.
You're in luck! Because some of the ICs come in lots of 10, I had to order enough parts for 20 units. So I can potentially accommodate a couple stragglers (3 units max.) :)

Last edited: