[FS] Shinobi Scaler

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Yeesh, sorry for the delay. Been busy with work and the LCD buy.

There's been a minor Shinobi schedule slip for a couple reasons:

1. Realized I ordered the wrong ferrites for the output filters; yes, I could just bridge the pads, but that might degrade video quality and I don't want to do that. The correct ones will get here in a day or two.
2. I'm trying out a new workflow with a vapor phase reflow oven. It makes fantastic solder joints but is prone to tombstoning. I'm sure it can be fixed with some profile tuning, but I don't have time for that right now. So every board needs a bit of extra rework here and there. The TVIA chip usually needs some touchup regardless so this isn't a big deal but it's delaying everything by a couple days.
batch-2.jpg

(Gotta say, DFM is hard. I wish I used more resistor arrays instead of single resistors, and didn't go so overboard with decoupling caps! Live and learn! :XD:)

I'm on track to finish up assembly and testing this week. I'll post some photos of a Shinobi connected to the group buy LCD in a day or two.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
You're in luck! Because some of the ICs come in lots of 10, I had to order enough parts for 20 units. So I can potentially accommodate a couple stragglers (3 units max.) :)
Do you still have some stragglers left over? I'd like one with old FW if that's the case!

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Just shipped out all (paid-for) Shinobi Scalers! Check your DMs here on the forums or on Discord for tracking info. Each one was tested with RGBs from a SNES Jr. and the group buy LCD, using press-fit pin headers (no soldering).

IMG_20230602_010609~2.jpg

IMG_20230602_011052.jpg

The 0.1uF decoupling caps for the SDRAM are not populated. You can add them yourself if you'd like, but the boards function fine without them.

This whole process has been a comedy of errors... Mouser actually lost my 1-day shipping ferrite bead order and I had to reorder it. Also, hand placing nearly 2000 components sucks. Suffice it to say I will not be doing another run of Shinobis anytime soon.

Anyway, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or comments about the Shinobi Scaler hardware. Remember that a heatsink for the TVIA chip isn't mandatory, but you should use one if you have the space for it.

Last edited:

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Just shipped out (paid-for) Shinobi Scalers! Check your DMs here on the forums or on Discord for tracking info. Each one was tested with RGBs from a SNES Jr. and the group buy LCD, using press-fit pin headers (no soldering).

View attachment 27849
View attachment 27850
The 0.1uF decoupling caps for the SDRAM are not populated. You can add them yourself if you'd like, but the boards function fine without them.

This whole process has been a comedy of errors... Mouser actually lost my 1-day shipping ferrite bead order and I had to reorder it. Also, hand placing nearly 2000 components sucks. Suffice it to say I will not be doing another run of Shinobis anytime soon.

Anyway, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or comments about the Shinobi Scaler hardware. Remember that a heatsink for the TVIA chip isn't mandatory, but you should use one if you have the space for it.
Heh, I see my partially unpopulated one floating around there! >:D
Super excited to give these a shot!

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
It may have been a comedy of errors but the fact that you pulled off this level of board manufacturing to create this device leaves me speechless.