AVEflex: Wii AVE Relocation FPC

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
AVEflex is my flexible printed circuit board (FPC) for relocating the Audio-Video Encoder (AVE) on 4-layer Wii motherboards. AVEflex is intended for OMEGA trims where analog video is needed and avoids the sacrificial daughterboard method currently used for AVE relocations. Supported motherboard revisions are:
  • RVL-CPU-40
  • RVL-CPU-50
  • RVL-CPU-60
  • RVK-CPU-01
  • RVK-CPU-02
gerb.png
both.png

The FPC breaks out all analog signals generated by the AVE: YPbPr/RGBHV, composite video, and stereo line level audio. There’s also a solder jumper for the Wii’s MODE pin, so you can easily connect MODE to 3.3V to enable progressive component or VGA.

Assembly
The AVE is removed from the donor Wii with hot air. The AVE is then hotaired back onto the flex board to connect the thermal pad under the IC. The AVE pins must be drag soldered onto the FPC. I recommend using a tacky flux with a long active time like Chipquik SMD291 or similar. Kester 951 doesn’t really cut it for drag soldering IMO.

IMG_20201007_162505.jpg
IMG_20201007_163508.jpg

3.3V, GND, and 1.8V must be connected to the FPC on the three pads labeled as 3.3, G, and 1.8 respectively. 34 AWG works fine for this.

Passives can either be harvested from the Wii motherboard, or you can use new components. I choose to buy new passives so I don’t have to bother desoldering the originals. You'll need to reference the RVK compendium and JacksonS's component values in Shank's Wii Super Thread for component placement. The FPC requires:
  • x9 0402 0.1uF
  • x1 0402 10nF
  • x1 0603 10uF
  • x1 0603 4.7uF
  • x4 0402 75Ω
  • x1 0402 1.2kΩ.
Here’s my Mouser Project with the BOM.

Note: For this board rev you need to short pins 22 and 23 on the AVE with solder to keep the AVE out of reset. I didn’t connect them on the PCB for testing purposes, but any future runs will have these connected internally.

IMG_20201007_172741edit.jpg

IMG_20201007_180139~2.jpg

As the silk message on the underside of the board states, if you’re using a standalone I2S audio amp for your project and don’t need analog audio from the AVE, you can carefully trim off the top 4 pads (marked in white) on the FPC to expose the Wii’s I2S vias, and disconnect the AVE from the I2S bus. If you decide to do this, make sure you do not sever the SCL trace on the underside of the FPC, or the AVE will not be initialized properly.

scl.PNG

Please note: This is not a beginner-friendly product. The install is difficult and the FPC is delicate. AVEflex is intended for OMEGA trims and as such I take no responsibility for motherboards or FPCs damaged due to user error. If you want/need a detailed guide on installing or using AVEflex, don't buy one. :P

I have only a few AVEflex FPCs on hand. Cost per unit is $5 plus shipping. Anyone interested in purchasing AVEflex can DM me here on BB or on Discord @YveltalGriffin#8080. No longer available. See latest post for the updated, fully open-source design!

Attachments

Last edited:

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
My original stock of AVEflex is nearly gone, and I have no plans to get another batch anytime soon. So I'm releasing the Gerber files for anyone that wants to get these manufactured.

AVEflex_updated.png

This is a slightly updated design that entirely omits the unecessary POR RC circuit, and connects RESET to 1.8V on the FPC (no pin bridging required.) Most pads/vias are also teardropped to make them sexier (and less prone to delamination). They meet GoldPhoenix's 5/5mil trace/space guidelines.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
AVEFlex is now fully open-source on GitHub! This is a revamped version that has improved grounding, cleaned-up routing, and widened spacing between passives to make assembly easier.

246535591-c97cce75-68d5-4464-b857-13bbfec3fc29.png
aveflex_mkii.png

The GitHub repo includes the EAGLE schematic and board files, BOM, iPCB JSON, and ready-to-order teardropped Gerber files. The design meets GoldPhoenix's FPC pool 5/5mil trace-space rules. When ordering, be sure to request that the coverlay openings NOT be ganged together!

AVEFlex has been licensed permissively under the TAPR Open Hardware License. The design imports cleanly into KiCad (except for the silkscreen graphics) for those who want to make modifications in a FOSS tool. Enjoy and have fun! :D