Worklog First Wii Trim - NES Classiic

loopj

Hey all, I'm working on my first Wii project.

Rather than building a portable first time round, I've decided to make a cut-down Wii in a NES Classic case. The NES was my first console a very long time ago, so figured this would be a great start for nostalgia purposes!

I'm working on this project as a hobby, but also to hone my skills in SMT soldering and basic PCB design.

Here's the plan:
  • I found a broken NES Classic on eBay for $10 delivered, I'll use this as my case
  • Powered by 5V USB power, I'm thinking USB-C
  • HDMI for A/V. Rather than buying/building a GCVideo I intend to use an inexpensive off-the-shelf Wii HDMI converter
  • Re-use the existing power and reset buttons on the NES Classic case
  • Mount 2 wavebird receivers internally for controller 1 and 2
  • Mount gamecube connectors on the front of the case for controllers 3 and 4
  • Mount everything on screw-posts/standoffs for easy assembly/disassembly (no glue!)
  • Create a couple of custom PCBs - one regulator PCB, and a "peripheral" PCB with headers for gamecube controllers, usb, and bluetooth
I've built a simple custom regulator, and I've just completed the first risky step (U10 relocation) and the Wii still boots, so figured now would be a good time to start my worklog!

5nwa2FI.jpg

Last edited:

loopj

Ok here's a big update!

Case
I found a "for parts" NES Classic on eBay for $10 delivered, the original PCB seems fried but the case and buttons are in perfect condition.

PgD4QG8.jpg

The power button is a nice clicky latching switch, just like the original NES, and the reset switch is a little tact switch.

Trim
I originally attempted a a 6-layer trim, since this isn't a portable and 6-layer boards are so cheap. Unfortunately I could never get it to work after trimming so I abandoned ship and bought a 4-layer console.

This time the trim worked great. I had a bit of practice removing (cough, destroying) the U10/U9 chips on my previous attempt, so I cheated and used some ChipQuik which made things WAY easier. The actual trimming and sanding part went well too.

IMG_20200307_180150.jpg

I decided to go with the Mayflash Wii to HDMI adapter due to it's good quality and small footprint. I desoldered the headphone jack and Wii A/V header. I managed to pull one of the pads when removing the A/V header, but epoxied it back down to the PCB.

8VfJKTk.jpg

I knocked together a couple of breadboards for testing power and A/V, and used some JST connectors I had from a previous project to make things easy to test without soldering and desoldering.

pMdtQJQ.jpg

I was finally was greeted with this beautiful sight

P4MInSf.jpg

One of the main reasons for me working on this project (apart from wanting a Wii in a NES Classic case of course!) is to learn how to design and build simple PCBs, I'll follow up more on those in my next post.

Last edited:

loopj

As I mentioned last time, one of the main reasons for me working on this project is to learn how to design and build simple PCBs. My build will consist of 3 custom PCBs:

1. Regulator PCB
  • A super simple custom regulator PCB
  • Uses the venerable PTH08080WAH power modules