Discussion First Wii Portable?

Build the OnlyMii?

• Yesterday you said tomorrow, DO IT!!!

• It ain't your thing, quit that

• Maybe but you aren't ready yet

• Is that even a question? Ofc you gotta do it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello everyone I've already introduced myself on the forums yesterday. Anyway, I'm a 17 year old male from Italy. I grew up playing the Wii and watching my father play Super Mario Galaxy late at night when I was unable to move further into the game, great times... *sigh*

Before I get lost in nostalgia, let me say I have an "idea" rather than a project in mind as there's looots of research to be done before even attempting such an ambitious project.

So here it is: the "OnlyMii" named that way because I want to build a portable solely and exclusively for myself. Yup, no extra controller ports and no TV out. A selfish project indeed :3

Expected features:
  • 16:9 5" display with Aurelio's VGA patch for razor sharp 480p
  • Gamecube joystick and buttons
  • DS Lite speakers
  • Power management board
  • Dual tact
  • GC+ board
  • OMGWTF trim
  • *Wifi capabilities to play online thanks to Wiimmfi
  • Emulators
  • 3D printed case (which I probably won't make myself) sanded and painted
  • Charge & play
  • Headphone jack (curse you, Apple)
  • Rechargeable batteries with no less than 2 hours of battery life, ideally 3 hours.
  • *USB type C out to charge the portable with a modern cellphone charger
  • Memes
*not really necessary but would make for a great addition to the portable, may or may not be implemented, implementing set feature only adds as a plus for the project

The goal: play Super Mario Galaxy again, especially in bed at night to relive the indescribable feelings the game gave me as a child, those shivers and that sensation of roaming in space no game can match...whilst also taking a good chunk of the GC library, WiiWare titles and generally just the whole experience with me wherever I go.

So, that would require Wiimote emulation thanks to awesome fella Aurelio, right?

What I have:
  • Dedication
  • Energy...I suppose?
  • Basic (but constantly growing) electronics knowledge as well as little experience with soldering iron
  • Passion
  • Softmod skills gained from former projects
  • Native-like fluency in English as I grew up bilingual, making guides and communication with other members much easier to follow or engage in respectively
  • Money (€)w(€)
What I don't have:
  • Any and all tools essentially, though that's no big of a deal as I have money to buy what I need, suggestions for a soldering station here in the EU are greatly appreciated!
  • A workspace, hence the reason why I probably won't be doing this project anytime soon here at home, I'll have to wait for uni in a year.
  • Knowledge concerning everything else: power (?) regulators (???) wot
If anyone can help pointing me in the right direction that would be amazing. I would especially want to hear what Aurelio has to say because if there isn't a way to emulate the Wiimote yet the project cannot start.

Videos, tutorials, suggestions, really just any sort of tiny little bit of help is appreciated ;)

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
looks like you've read it a bit, I'd start reading the Guide hub, should have everything you need to know. Has tutorials, explanations, and guides

Wii mote Emulation is only available through Aurelio's Patreon iirc this right here ----> https://www.patreon.com/aureliomannara
Kinda Jank at the moment last time I checked
There is another solution being worked on by JacksonS, Idk how well it's gonna take, but definately promising, I personally can't wait for it.

For Soldering irons, the most two prominent ones is the Weller WLC100 and the Hakko F-888D (I think that's the name), the Weller is cheaper, but it's analog, i use the weller, and it does it's job, Hakko seems like a step up, and it's what alot of the cool kids use.
When you get tools, the one thing to remember is Buy nice or Buy twice (Cheap tools don't work as well, and sometimes damage your projects, which costs more than it would have than just to get the higher quality, and more expensive tool)

Who needs a workspace when you have the kitchen table :>

looks like you've read it a bit, I'd start reading the Guide hub, should have everything you need to know. Has tutorials, explanations, and guides
Really? Including cooling system and how to power the system or use regulators? I'll check that out nonetheless
Wii mote Emulation is only available through Aurelio's Patreon iirc this right here ----> https://www.patreon.com/aureliomannara
Kinda Jank at the moment last time I checked
There is another solution being worked on by JacksonS, Idk how well it's gonna take, but definately promising, I personally can't wait for it.
Ok so I actually knew this but had no idea somebody else was working on an alternative solution. In the mean time Aurelio's Wiimote emulation will do. That also gives me the chance to support him and his work (though for one month only)
For Soldering irons, the most two prominent ones is the Weller WLC100 and the Hakko F-888D (I think that's the name), the Weller is cheaper, but it's analog, i use the weller, and it does it's job, Hakko seems like a step up, and it's what alot of the cool kids use.
I googled them and searched on Amazon it aaaand they don't really seem to be produced here.
Any and all tools essentially, though that's no big of a deal as I have money to buy what I need, suggestions for a soldering station here in the EU are greatly appreciated!
Yeah
the one thing to remember is Buy nice or Buy twice
I don't cheap out on tools, I'm fully aware of that, I hate those kind of people
Who needs a workspace when you have the kitchen table :>
I do >:> No seriously, having an organized workspace is crucial for me, the kitchen table won't do.

Kind of a dick move mate.
Excuse me? As someone who doesn't make an income at all, I can't go out of my way to support Aurelio monthly. How is that a dick move? If anything it's a great opportunity to support him.

Batterfly is definitely the best option here in Italy
Seems like it. By the way, yesterday I stumbled upon the BitBuilt store and noticed the power management board, which is out of stock. Could that be the solution to power the whole portable? Is it ever going to be back in stock? "Available soon" :/