Question First Wii portable not working. Questions on wiring.

Hey everyone. I am working on my first Wii portable. To be honest, I've never worked with motherboards, but I do have some experience with wiring. Something is not functioning properly on this portable. All of the custom regulators are putting out the correct voltages. I am running this through composite video, but I currently have that disconnected. My screen is just giving me a "No Signal" message. I did make a little mistake on the back of the board. I have it pictured below with a white circle. I was having issues with the wire sticking to the solder, and in the process of struggling with that, I made a burn spot on the board and a couple of the chips there came off. Are those necessary for the board to function properly? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I see a couple of things that are absolutely causing issues.

First off, the spot you circled is a pretty significant problem. You lost some of the SMD resistors and capacitors required for video output. It's fixable, but it would require soldering those tiny components that you lost back on, which is a tough solder job.

Second off, your wires for power are way too thin. You absolutely NEED 22 gauge wire for the power lines going to the Wii and the power lines going between the regulators, especially on a 6 layer board.

This board is probably toast for now, but it may be fixable in the future when your soldering skills have improved.

Luca

I see some more things that will make it not boot:

Remove all the components that you cut through, so those ICs and passive components that are still sitting there still half on the board will need to go

It doesn't look like you've sanded the board, or at least not very well, which can short together layers of the PCB. Those scratches on the PCB from the dremel you'll also have to sand down, but that looks fixable.

Did you check the Wii board resistances before applying power? That's important to do.