Worklog First Wii Portable: G-Wii

Dango

I feel like it's about time I start a worklog, I've been putting it off for a bit.

I've gotten almost all of the parts I need, i'm just missing the case and audio amp (sort of).

I recently trimmed my Wii and relocated bluetooth/A10 (i'll attach photos)

Theres a few things i'm unsure of,
  • I have JacksonS's audio amp, I just can't program it. I've tried and I haven't gotten any progress. I think I soldered it on correctly but i've been procrastinating on trying again. I like the idea of using this amp but now that the UAmp is out its looking pretty enticing.
  • I have a VGA screen and I'm pretty sure I installed the patches successfully, i'm just feeling a bit uneasy soldering the screen. I don't have a really clear path in mind on how Im going to wire it. If anyone has a really clear guide i'd really appreciate it.
  • Same issue with audio, I don't really get how to wire it up. I understand that there's two different types (digital and analogue) but I don't really see how to do either
  • I have the PMS and USB-C boards and as of right now I don't have many questions but I feel like eventually I will
I don't want to wire anything else up before I have the case (don't want the wires being too long, short, etc). The only thing I can work on right now is the amp, but it really doesn't want to connect to the pickit lol. But other than that it has been going pretty smoothly, I only have this one Wii so hopefully it's able to survive my amateur soldering skills.

Attachments

Nice looks good so far as far as I know. I'm also working on a g Wii as my first portable hope your's turn out well.

Dango

Got the Wii trim working!
7229F14B-7108-422D-821F-CAC32DA7D4F8.jpeg

69B6AF51-58C0-4D2E-8D29-31BC6A469D0B.jpeg

The only problem is the the screen and driver board I got from eBay aren’t compatible so I have to get a new one :\
Other than that everything is looking good! Hopefully by my next update nothing catastrophic will happen and I’ll be assembling the G-Wii!

Dango

My case came in!
IMG_2632.jpeg

Big thanks to Ginger who printed it out for me

I also got the bluetooth working
IMG_2627.jpeg

But now I have a new problem, the Wii trim (only slightly) doesn't fit in the case. Should I just sand it down or is there a better technique? Im assuming that its safest to take from the bottom because as far as I know nothing vital is close (please correct me if i'm wrong)
IMG_2630.jpeg

Also thank you to everyone on Discord who answer my questions and help me troubleshoot!

Last edited:
Portables
Also assembling a g-wii and bocu & gman helped me out so you can do this:

Take a look At the lmao trimming 'guide' it has a picture in there where you can compare the OMGWTF with the lmao, it shows that you can cut a bit at the top and bottom of close to the yellow line. gman also has a worklog up on the site with the g-wii, where you can compare his from to yours

Dango

Also assembling a g-wii and bocu & gman helped me out so you can do this:

Take a look At the lmao trimming 'guide' it has a picture in there where you can compare the OMGWTF with the lmao, it shows that you can cut a bit at the top and bottom of close to the yellow line. gman also has a worklog up on the site with the g-wii, where you can compare his from to yours
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Good luck on your build!

Dango

So far I have the batteries, PMS, usb, and VGA wired up
F965B332-FC16-4C57-A72C-49DAD0C1174A.jpeg

VGA was almost a disaster but I somehow got it working. It’s super crisp and is definitely worth the extra time.
088DC1EA-AB3F-47D9-B55B-FDB8684F6DBD.jpeg

here’s what the internals look like so far. It’s pretty messy, but I’m planning on cleaning it up a bit by the end.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Ayy nice work, I know the feeling of seeing it all coming together, this looks great!

Looking forward to seeing the final noods.

Dango

Hey man this looks awesome! Do you have a list of parts you used for this project? I want to make my own with my wii I have.
Sorry I don’t have a list, Ginger has a BOM on his Louii cad file post which has some helpful links

Dango

Welp I closed up the case and started to test it out, it worked for a bit but then it stopped working. I opened it up and I couldn’t really figure out what happened. Turns out the wire connected to the battery came off and a few bad decisions later the PMS was fried. I’m going to try to repair it or just get a new one. Sucks that it’s a huge setback but I kinda deserve it for the rushed battery wiring. I learned my lesson and everyone out there doing there first portable don’t take shortcuts because that fries your PMS lol. I don’t mind too much, if anything I can get more practice and can probably make the wiring cleaner too! (I just hope the Wii is ok)
Also here’s a photo of it “finished” before the mishap
35A03C5C-6DB6-445C-900A-0B3469F81565.jpeg

Hopefully I’ll get it back to it’s former, short lived glory soon :D