Worklog First Wii Portable - Cube-ii

Legend

Portables
So I finally get to post a worklog after at least a year or 2 of lurking in the bitbuilt shadows LOL

0.jpg
My main objective here was actually not to build a handheld portable like most, because im restricted to frankencasing due to not having a 3D printer (or the money to send files off for print atm) so I had started off by cutting the original case so I could still mount everything I needed nicely without ripping my 34awg wire off of some small via's.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

After it was all put together, I was having some troubles with the RVL-PSU that I ordered (no output on the 5v line) but thankfully Noah informed my dumbass of the small jumper that needed to be bridged to bring power to 5v. He had also explained that some people like to power their boards with just 5v, so that got me thinking real hard, and i remembered i had this battery powered drill that was 8v max. I peeled it apart and luckily there is 2 18650 cells (i dont believe they are 3400mah but thats okay for now, as i just had them on hand. It also had its own charging board with micro usb as its power source.

So with all the aforementioned parts, I found I had this older 3rd party biogenik gamecube to wiiU/PC adapter that was conveniently shaped like a mini GC with 4 ports already, so i went to work with trying to fit everything into it (batteries and all), I am just finishing with my frankencasing portion (cutting mounting holes for things) then the real work starts when trying to wire everything up. I should be done soon and here is the features I am going for:

- Plays like a regular wii console (Plugs into tv with OG A/V port... hopefully 8v will power the 12v sensor bar, but we'll see)
- Charged and powered by micro USB (its unconventional the way I have it, but everything was already on hand, so working with what I got)
- Has proprietary connector for separate screen setup for portable use

4.jpg
5.jpg
So thats it rn, dont smite me down for doing shit weirdly haha, Im just using what I have on hand for the experience before I think about diving into a handheld portable.. I really would like to get the G-Boy, however the US to CAD conversion already made me pay $70 just for the RVL-PSU lol, so itll be a while before I can invest in that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*EDIT*

So I got it all done up now, and It thankfully has all the features I was looking to implement. Now I do plan to clean it up after I test thermals more extensively, as i havent had it on for too long at a time so far.
10.jpg

Like I said, I do want to clean it up haha. The hottest ive seen it get so far was from being off and charging (32C). Because I took the batteries and charging board from a power drill, I figured I needed more info on it so I searched up the manual for said drill and got more info on the batteries. It was saying that the batteries obviously get warm while charging, and its normal. I also got the charging times and more info on the indicator light.

I needed to remove the charge indicator light for clearance, however I didnt quite know how it worked at first, but once I figured it out I ran the light to the front controller port light as I am not using them anyway.
11.jpg

Then I had this like 7 inch RCA monitor that was peeled apart years ago for stupid shit, so I just butchered a wii case real quick, made a few screw posts, and mounted it all in there so it was smaller than the actual wii case.. Then I was bored so I just closed up the sides for now with electrical tape.

So I can plug the screen in and use it sort of as a portable (more for in the car for the nephew or something), or I can use it with a regular tv etc.. I also had a little stand for a switch screen that happened to be pretty good for the little screen setup.
12.jpg
13.jpg

Now as I said, its not clean at all and I cant really see thermals being too good with the way it is now, but some testing and cleaning up will be done where its needed. My screen setup is janked lol, but it works for now so im satisfied... Francencasing at its finest haha

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ho lee fuk son that is a nice trim and BT relocation! Very well done.

Legend

Portables
Much appreciated!! Haha, I actually never touched it with a dremel.

A hacksaw, bastard file, 800 grit sandpaper, and a fuckton of elbow grease got me to where I am lol

Wiring it up rn, so I'll update soon!

Legend

Portables
Much appreciated!! I hadn't even realized that wesk had made the noob cube until I looked but that would be the project to go for haha

Unless you have a biogenik adapter laying around lol, then frankencasing is the way to go haha

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Very nice! I don't think you have to connect all of the GNDs like that on the RVL-PSU, since they all are connected via an internal GND plane.

Apart from that, very nice first project! Looking forward to seeing your next project.