Worklog First Wii Portable Attempt

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Got the wifi module wired up. To avoid shorts i just peeled back the pins that weren't used and wiggled them out. The others were spaced. Had a fun time trying to fit my iron in there ended up burning off more insulation than i wanted. All in all i call it a win.
You can remove the connector and solder to the pads....... just make sure those wires are as short as physically possible.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Well... What gauge wire is that? You definitely want to invest in some 32-34g magnet wire. The WiFi module is a lot, lot harder than the Bluetooth module due to how finicky it is.

Edit:Gman2fast4numbahone

Well... What gauge wire is that? You definitely want to invest in some 32-34g magnet wire. The WiFi module is a lot, lot harder than the Bluetooth module due to how finicky it is.

Edit:Gman2fast4numbahone
This is 28 gauge. Ill try using some 34 gauge next time around

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Bluetooth isn't as hard on the module itself for a number of reasons, mainly that it uses USB (so the wires can be quite long) and it's got nice big pads. WiFi is ridiculously hard because of it's sensitivity to length and interference, and it's super tiny pins.

And you don't have to do bluetooth. It is only required for wii games and connecting wii remotes. For me, all those gamecube games,n64,snes...... games are all that I need.

And you don't have to do bluetooth. It is only required for wii games and connecting wii remotes. For me, all those gamecube games,n64,snes...... games are all that I need.
Yea i will use my Wii mostly as GameCube so i never really planned on hooking up BT. I assumed BT would be super hard with the tiny traces and all. I definitely underestimated the wifi module but i think I'll give it one more shot before scraping it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Isn't BT needed for some VC?

I've been checking every so often to see if the GC+ boards were available in the BB store and so far haven't been able to buy one :( any chance these will be restocked soon or is it too late to snag one?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've been checking every so often to see if the GC+ boards were available in the BB store and so far haven't been able to buy one :( any chance these will be restocked soon or is it too late to snag one?
There's actually a thread about it, Noah keeps running out of parts because people buy up the whole store's stock so fast... He's waiting on parts to come in, and then they should be back in stock.

I just rewired my wifi module using 30 gauge silicone insulated wire. When checking continuity, I only hear *beeps on the correct pins. When checking the other pins, even the ones pretty far away I get readings of anywhere from 975-1.9k ohms. Is this also normal?

20170927_211245.jpg

You don't know hard difficult regular wire is to use until you have used enamelled magnet wire. It's a lifesaver.
I'll give it a shot one of these days. I just hate waiting for new things to come in the mail. I feel like progress is always on hold while I wait for the next part to arrive. I was feeling inspired that day so I went for it. Honestly I thought the silicone wire was pretty easy to work with especially with only 6 connections.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'll give it a shot one of these days. I just hate waiting for new things to come in the mail. I feel like progress is always on hold while I wait for the next part to arrive. I was feeling inspired that day so I went for it. Honestly I thought the silicone wire was pretty easy to work with especially with only 6 connections.
The way I see it it's better to wait 2-3 days for shipping than deal with the frustration and possible hours of troubleshooting when something is wrong :P