Worklog First Wii Portable Attempt

Looking around on the interwebs the PSP 1000 (fat) case looks like a good candidate. I ordered one on a slow boat from China. It might be a tight fit for my board but people are using Altoid tins FFS. I'm sure i can figure something out.

CHINA.jpg

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Do you mean the shell/housing for the console or a case for it? IIRC I checked the dimensions of my fat psp and an OMGWTF trim wouldn't fit. I don't remember if I checked the LMAO trim.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Well... It's almost been done.

Keep in mind that this was an early Wii project and didn't have all the awesome stuff we have now. Gman gave up on this project and put it up for free for someone else to deal with, but I don't believe it ever resurfaced. So it'll definitely be ambitious. You could also put a spacer into it if you wanted an easier time dealing with it.

Do you mean the shell/housing for the console or a case for it? IIRC I checked the dimensions of my fat psp and an OMGWTF trim wouldn't fit. I don't remember if I checked the LMAO trim.
I ordered a replacement shell. I did a rough measure with what i saw online. It seems like the two hardest angles will be the length and height. 3.25"/.9" if i remember correctly and those measurements are taken from the outside so even less. The measurements i took on my wii trim were 3" at the shortest cut and what seems like a decent amount of overhead above the heatsink. If doesnt work ill be out like 10 bucks but i still wantto give it a shot.

Well... It's almost been done.

Keep in mind that this was an early Wii project and didn't have all the awesome stuff we have now. Gman gave up on this project and put it up for free for someone else to deal with, but I don't believe it ever resurfaced. So it'll definitely be ambitious. You could also put a spacer into it if you wanted an easier time dealing with it.
Thanks for the link! I didnt know gman already tried it. Itll be nice to have another post to reference.

Alvaro

Portables
View attachment 4140 View attachment 4141 Holy cow its been awhile since ive touched my Wii...

Ive made some progress today though getting the board cut and wiring up the power reg/U10 relocation. Using a heat gun made easy work of removing the U10/U5 chip just be sure not to drop it on your carpet afterwards.. :blush: I got the custom regs from SS, he did a hell of a job making them compact and easy to hook up. I was going to wait until i finished my case to really start hooking things up so for now this will stay put.

As for the trim some places have a little more meat than others i was kinda nervous cutting in too close. All the edges were sanded and sanded again until it was nice and smooth all the way around. looking around the edges i dont see any obvious shorts so im pretty pleased with the end result.

Let me know what you guys think i havent tried booting it up yet im waiting for some feedback just in case.
Who is SS

It may be a little ambiguous for new members. I don't want anyone to think I'm referring to Nazis or awesome cars or something.

Was kinda bored today waiting for my other bits to come in the mail so i decided to tinker around a bit with cable management in mind. I had some screw terminal block things i thought might help keep everything organized. All the main power in from the regs on one side and multiple leads out on the other to the various ancillaries. I also used some thermal tape and copper dabloons in an effort to keep the regs a little cooler. Im not sure of the effectiveness of either yet but am open to any critism/suggestions. The terminal blocks are rated @ 10amps and the tape is non-conductive.

20170924_170535.jpg

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
That system is kind of overkill, but it is a good idea. The regs do put off heat, but not enough to warrant any sort of heat dissipation on them. If you've got plenty of room in your case, then those screw boards are a great idea. You'll won't have to try to solder three voltage wires to a reg like I did :awesome:

That system is kind of overkill, but it is a good idea. The regs do put off heat, but not enough to warrant any sort of heat dissipation on them. If you've got plenty of room in your case, then those screw boards are a great idea. You'll won't have to try to solder three voltage wires to a reg like I did :awesome:
Yea at this point it seems like a diminishing return.. The thought was to have solid connections and quick disconnects for separating case halfs or rerouting wires. I'll entertain the idea until it gets in the way of things. Ive basically just doubled the width of an already compact design :facepalm:

Got the wifi module wired up. To avoid shorts i just peeled back the pins that weren't used and wiggled them out. The others were spaced. Had a fun time trying to fit my iron in there ended up burning off more insulation than i wanted. All in all i call it a win.

Attachments