Question First time trimming, have both a CPU-01 and CPU-40 revision Wiis

Heya, quarantine got me bored asf and I grew up on the Wii/GC both so I'm interested in making a portable.

Blame my utter daftness and idiocy for overlooking the warning not to use a SanDisk USB drive. Well, I was able to use it to install BBLoader, however it got stuck on "exitting" after installation, so I yanked the power cord. Plugged it back in, and I thought I had bricked the Wii. HOWEVER, I discovered that if you quickly unplug and plug the USB back in, that's when it loads BBLoader. Interesting. Backed up and transferred the files to another USB and worked like normal. (In case you're wondering, the SanDisk is a 16GB Cruzer Glide, and ironically, the USB I transferred files to is a company-rebranded unit that you'd find on AliExpress.)

Aight so I have two Wiis, a revision 01 and revision 40. I'm thinking of doing the revision 40, however I'm wondering about the two "difficult soldering points" as described in the 6-layer expansion guide. Alternatively, if I do the 01 revision, I have to worry about heat generation/power consumption and the "nowifi ioses" whatever those are. When I was installing the Homebrew Channel, I made sure to install whatever IOSes were on the SD card, and made sure to disable Wi-Fi when installing BBLoader.

Have not taken apart the Wiis yet.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
however I'm wondering about the two "difficult soldering points" as described in the 6-layer expansion guide.
The soldering is not any more difficult on a 4-layer vs 6-layer unless you add the bluetooth module, which is not needed with BBLoader unless you want to use wiimotes. It's worth it for the power savings.

The soldering is not any more difficult on a 4-layer vs 6-layer unless you add the bluetooth module, which is not needed with BBLoader unless you want to use wiimotes. It's worth it for the power savings.
I was wanting to use a WiiMote with Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy, so I guess I'm up for the challenge. Probably will have to add a couple of infrared lights so the WiiMote cursor can show up.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was wanting to use a WiiMote with Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy, so I guess I'm up for the challenge. Probably will have to add a couple of infrared lights so the WiiMote cursor can show up.
It's really not as hard as you'd think if you have some half decent flux and use magnet wire