Worklog First project before an actual portable - Wii Micro

nemo

first thread!
This is gonna be a worklog for the Wii Micro I am going to be building. A lot is still under construction and very rough but I just wanted to start a thread so I can organize a lot of the info I'm writing.
I hope to build a Wii Micro with a similar design to Jeff's or Gman's Wii Micro, so any help is appreciated.

First step is going to be gathering all necessary tools. List is here. Another sheet on that spreadsheet has the materials which I haven't started yet but on the way soon.

If anyone could help me out with finding the right materials for the Wii Micro build. From what I can understand, the big fundamentals are the wii (obviously), gamecube inputs, usb ports, video output, and sensor bar output. Correct me if I'm missing something. Guidance is also appreciated :)

My discord is also nemo#9173 and I'm active in the BitBuilt discord so you might see me there.]

Update 1: finished BOM, pretty simple if you have all the essential tools here. Btw I'm from Canada so its in CAD

Update 2: Got my soldering iron, solder, solder wick and a bunch of other stuff and finally got BBLoader working today. Pretty productive.

Update 3: Forgot to write this yesterday but I decased the wii successfully and now I have to get wires and flux because I got the wrong type of flux. Next step Relocating the U10!

To do:
Install homebrew and BBLoader
Decase Wii

Relocate U10
Draw lines for Trim (with ports) and verify with someone that the cut is good
Trim and Sand
Test if working still
to be continued

Last edited:

nemo

Small update: I realized I should be posting updates in the replies so here we are.. After decasing Wii and installing all the software Im ready to relocate U10. I just removed the U10 and the U5 chip and ICs. Still waiting for my wires to come in the mail then we can finally relocate. Another thing is instead of RVL-PSU I will be using 4x PTH08080WAH and all the correct resistances and 2 capacitors for each. Guide can be found here. Also I'm gonna be using resistances of 330, 2k, 30k, and 75k because exact resistances are hard to find and I saw Gman use them lol. Making good progress so far.

nemo

Reviving thread and project to say: I got my parts! I'll link the BOM here. Next steps is setting up my regulators with resistors, and testing voltages and then trimming. Excited to start working on this again.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

FInished my trim today. Gotta sand down a bit but looks good.
Photo on 2021-04-04 at 6.28 PM.jpg
Photo on 2021-04-04 at 6.17 PM.jpg

Looking good, make sure you have the CPU and GPU covered with masking tape when cutting and sanding, otherwise small bits of conductive metal can get in under the lid