Question First Portable - noob questions

Hi! New here. Sorry for being so cliche with the title.

So i want to start making a portable because it seems cool. I have experience soldering and with other electronics, but not much on this scale (i also need to buy a soldering iron of my own, so waiting on that.) Luckily, I have a 4 layer board and have already marked where to make the OMGWTF trim. Having read most of the guides, I think i have an idea of what I'm doing, but it doesn't hurt to get some help. So, basically, sorry for the noob questions inbound.

Questions:

Where can I get a GC+ or PowerMii or even the new charge + play board? It seems like they are shipped by people, but those posts also seem outdated.

How many batteries and in what configuration should i do them? The guide says i need at least 4s if i want 12v for the pre-amp, but is that necessary? Don't want to spend a ton of money on batteries but enough playtime... kind of a dilemma.

What should I use to actually cut the PCB? I don't have a dremel, or very many tools for that matter, and I didn't think simple knife scoring would work for this shape.

For the multiple places that need a certain voltage, can I simply connect multiple wires from one source? For example, on the PowerMii there is 1 pad for 3.3v, but on the Wii there are a few places I have to connect 3.3v. Can I run multiple wires from that one pad on the PowerMii to each of those places? (This is probably my most noob question, sorry.)

Can you use original shoulder button sliders with the GC+ instead of a dual tact mod? I was planning on using original buttons (Game Cube buttons, of course).

Also, where can I find the BOM?

Probably more questions to come, thanks in advance for any help! Much appreciated! (kinda daunted by the task, tbh.)

pat

1. You can find the PowerMii and Gc plus at the site shop.
2. you can’t use actual sliders, at least, that’s what I think.Besides, the dual tact takes up less space
Hopes this helps!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
1. You can find the PowerMii and Gc plus at the site shop.
2. you can’t use actual sliders, at least, that’s what I think.Besides, the dual tact takes up less space
Hopes this helps!
Oi listen here, no giving "I think" advice. You know, or you shut ya gob. Kay? Kay.

Hi! New here. Sorry for being so cliche with the title.

So i want to start making a portable because it seems cool. I have experience soldering and with other electronics, but not much on this scale (i also need to buy a soldering iron of my own, so waiting on that.) Luckily, I have a 4 layer board and have already marked where to make the OMGWTF trim. Having read most of the guides, I think i have an idea of what I'm doing, but it doesn't hurt to get some help. So, basically, sorry for the noob questions inbound.

Questions:

Where can I get a GC+ or PowerMii or even the new charge + play board? It seems like they are shipped by people, but those posts also seem outdated.

How many batteries and in what configuration should i do them? The guide says i need at least 4s if i want 12v for the pre-amp, but is that necessary? Don't want to spend a ton of money on batteries but enough playtime... kind of a dilemma.

What should I use to actually cut the PCB? I don't have a dremel, or very many tools for that matter, and I didn't think simple knife scoring would work for this shape.

For the multiple places that need a certain voltage, can I simply connect multiple wires from one source? For example, on the PowerMii there is 1 pad for 3.3v, but on the Wii there are a few places I have to connect 3.3v. Can I run multiple wires from that one pad on the PowerMii to each of those places? (This is probably my most noob question, sorry.)

Can you use original shoulder button sliders with the GC+ instead of a dual tact mod? I was planning on using original buttons (Game Cube buttons, of course).

Also, where can I find the BOM?

Probably more questions to come, thanks in advance for any help! Much appreciated! (kinda daunted by the task, tbh.)
I'll make you a nice answer list:
  1. The GC+, PowerMii lite, and Gman's new power management board can all be ordered from the BitBuilt store. It's just pre-orders atm since the store only just came back after a long absence, but they'll all be available soon.
  2. The standard config is 2S2P, which is 4 cells in 2 pairs outputting 7.4v. This is the best config for PTH regs and PowerMii Lite boards. Gman's power management board runs at 1S with however many cells you want (limited by charge current). The officially recommended cells are Panasonic 3400mAh 18650 cells, they aren't too expensive and have the best performance and reliability. The pre-amp is pretty much useless and most people just de-solder it and use the un-amplified audio.
  3. Dremel with EZ-Lock cutting disks, nothing else. Preferably the thin-cut disks, in my experience they're easier to cut with and jump less.
  4. For a 4 layer board you need only supply each voltage to one of its marked points, they're all internally connected.
  5. You can use the original slide pots for the LR triggers, it's just a bit of extra work to wire them up and build them into a case. Dual tact is much easier to do.
  6. The BOM is pinned under General Discussion, but here is link. The discussion under Gman's main post also has a collection of other things people have found that may be useful in portables. Most aren't, but some are handy.
Remember: Measure twice, cut once. Good luck my dude.

Where can I find the PowerMii Lite BOM and PCB? I've seen people say it's open source but I havent had any luck finding a bom.

I'm also new to building the wii portable. So all we need is the gman power management, the gc +, a screen, 3d printed housing, and wii. Will this give us enough parts to make the portable wii. Does anyone think a portable dvd player screen would work in the wii portable? Seen a 13 inch dvd player on Ebay for under $60.
Could someone give us a complete part list? Thanks.

I'm also new to building the wii portable. So all we need is the gman power management, the gc +, a screen, 3d printed housing, and wii. Will this give us enough parts to make the portable wii. Does anyone think a portable dvd player screen would work in the wii portable? Seen a 13 inch dvd player on Ebay for under $60.
Could someone give us a complete part list? Thanks.
You should probably post this in a new thread, you'll get help faster. And more specific help for further questions.

Hey, what are reccomended analog sticks? I can't find c-stick PCBs and was wondering what people do.

Legend

Portables
Hey guys, GC+, and Powermii Lite are available in shop now!.. as for analog sticks, ive been doing some research and i figured out that if you dont have a GC analog stick setup then you can use a program on portablizemii to access the firmware on the GC+ to set the resistance (or dead zone) for your analog sticks.. personally ive been looking into switch joycon analog replacements, $10 a piece on amazon isnt too bad

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Hey guys, GC+, and Powermii Lite are available in shop now!.. as for analog sticks, ive been doing some research and i figured out that if you dont have a GC analog stick setup then you can use a program on portablizemii to access the firmware on the GC+ to set the resistance (or dead zone) for your analog sticks.. personally ive been looking into switch joycon analog replacements, $10 a piece on amazon isnt too bad
Be sure to check eBay too, you can get the same sticks for even cheaper.