Worklog First GCP Worklog

For a while I've wanted to build a Gamecube portable and I've finally done the research to build one and bought all of the parts needed to make one. This is a picture of all of the parts that I have bought:
IMG_20160901_144538.jpg

This is a list of all of the parts I have bought for the project:

A gamecube
2x controllers
3x wasp fusions (2 i will probably will sell after)
128mb mem card and second one to use for a sd gecko
1x sd card slot
1x pam mini audio amp
2x speakers
4x panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah li ion batterys
1x li ion charging curcuit and charger plus jack
1x headphone jack
1x 4.3in screen
1x battery indicator light
a bunch of switches
1x fan to use on custom heat sink
And a bunch of different wires
The case will figured out after I finish everything else.

I should be making posts whenever I make more progress on it and since i still haven't been able to find information on how to hook up some different parts. I have basic knowledge of electronics and i thought that this would be a fun and challenging project to work on and would teach me a bunch of new things about electronics and hopefully allow me to make a wii portable later. All suggestions on making it are welcome and any parts i might be missing as well. I hope this project goes well and gets completed. My next update should be later this week.

pengy

Looks good, though it's not too late to switch to the wii if you want a little bit of an easier time and more options for games to play :P

I think you'll find that you'll need your case pretty early on in the project, have you given any thought to it?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You really should make a Wii portable instead. Its much easier, and better in essentially every way. There really isn't any reason to make a gamecube portable anymore. The only reason people still make gamecube portables is because they dont know how much better the Wii is to work with.

Josiah

"has done nothing for this community"
Portables
Nice. Making a Gamecube Portable is a lot of fun! Hope everything works out.

Ok so I've decided to switch to a wii portable after reading most of the things and to see that all of the guides are a lot more clear than the old gamecube guides. I'm going to take the gamecube and just add the wasp and sd gecko on it and use it as a home console. Hopefully once i get the parts in for the wii I will make a new post and start working on the wii. Thanks for the push to make me switch systems.

You really should make a Wii portable instead. Its much easier, and better in essentially every way. There really isn't any reason to make a gamecube portable anymore. The only reason people still make gamecube portables is because they dont know how much better the Wii is to work with.
Why is that? From a few days of browsing this site and modretro, there seems to be some more documentation on GC portables, but I did see Wii's run cooler.

Noah

retired
Portables
Why is that? From a few days of browsing this site and modretro, there seems to be some more documentation on GC portables, but I did see Wii's run cooler.
The Wii is much cheaper than the GameCube. It is also a lot easier to trim and get working once trimmed. It consumes less power than the GameCube which means longer battery life. Also, you do not need any kind of extra hardware to get games running on the Wii as you do with the GameCube (ex. WASP fusion)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Innovation and guide making on Modretro was essentially abandoned several years ago, right before early Wii work began. Most of the information there is outdated.
Also, have you seen the compendium, or my super guide? The Wii hardware is pretty much completely reverse engineered.

Heres a repost of my poorly made comparison chart.
Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 12.31.18 AM.png

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
I agree with making a GameCube Portable, this is what I am currently in the process of designing, though as a laptop and not a handheld.

I don't agree with shushing someone away from the projects that they want to work on because it's not what you personally want.

I mean if you look at Shockslayer's work and Ashen's work you can see some amazing pieces, and there are other people who've made great portables out there based on the GameCube.

On my own I believe in playing games on the consoles they originate from, and not emulated. And I know GameCube games can be stock played on the Wii without emulation, but that cube is adorable in it's own right and was underestimated from the start.

Anyways, either way can't wait to see what you come up with

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I did make some nice GCps, but after portablizing the Wii I'm personally never going back. I think @Ashen would probably be in the same boat, as most of the big name GC portablizers were also very interested in the Wii many years ago.

There are always going to be people who want to make Gamecube portables(that's why we still have this forum,) but after the portablizing "revolution" this last year that number is on a steady decrease. That's because most people want better Gamecube portables, and that's exactly what the Wii is.

I don't think anyone who's posted here is trying to discourage anyone else from building something, but rather urging them to try out the Wii instead. It is really a lot easier to work with and as a community we've spent a lot more time developing things for that, and there's some cool stuff on the horizon that will only be for the Wii.

It's all about what you really want to do. There's nothing wrong with loving the Gamecube for what it is, but if your aim is just to play GC games on the go, you can't beat what we've done with the Wii.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I just finished my first GCP, and only AFTER finishing it did I find out that the wii was much more efficient. I plan on doing a wii portable next when I get the money for it. I worked it out on paper and overall the wii IS much cheaper to portablize (because of lower power consumption and not needing a wasp).

However, the fact that the wii is smaller and more convenient doesn't mean that a gcp doesn't have its own merits. I like knowing that it's an actual gamecube and not a wii. They're also cheaper than wiis where I live, plus you get a free Nintendo brand gamecube controller. I don't have to deal with the wii menu or portablizeme.

While the wii technically is better for portablizing all around (and I might've made that instead had I known at the time), I'm glad that I made a gcp first, since it holds a special place in my heart. And on my display shelf :P

I love how my original worklog has been turned into a place for people to convince people to make wii portables over gamecube ones and discussing people's sides on the matter. Also I should probably set it so every time someone makes a post on it I don't receive a email on it when I really want to see one for my wii worklog.

Last edited: