Worklog First Ashida worklog update

Blabby

WORKLOG ---

The thought to begin my worklog hasn’t crossed my mind until now, so I’ll just cover the (very little) progress I’ve made until now.

I decided that making an Ashida Wii would be the best for my skill level, as it seems like a pretty good beginner’s option (ignoring the lack of detailed documentation regarding putting it together, minus the schematics/diagrams that can be found on the 4Layer website). I went ahead and ordered the Ashida PCB kit from 4Layer, along with all the components outlined in the parts list from Digikey. In the meantime, I upgraded from my El Cheapo 20 dollar soldering iron I got from amazon to a much nicer Yihua-939D+. While I was at it, I ordered a practice SMD PCB that should be arriving tomorrow.

Sorry for the short first-log, I’m excited to update this log with some more substantial progression!

Blabby

First major update! I got all the things required to boot a Wii PCB (including the best cooling solution my caveman brain could come up with) and installed RVLoader. Finding the required WAD files online was tricky, but I eventually found my solution. I turned the WiFi patch on and VGA on, but now my Wii's output gives a black screen. I imagine it has something to do with turning VGA on, but I guess I wont be sure until I put the thing into an Ashida case :P

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
First major update! I got all the things required to boot a Wii PCB (including the best cooling solution my caveman brain could come up with) and installed RVLoader. Finding the required WAD files online was tricky, but I eventually found my solution. I turned the WiFi patch on and VGA on, but now my Wii's output gives a black screen. I imagine it has something to do with turning VGA on, but I guess I wont be sure until I put the thing into an Ashida case :P
When the VGA patch is installed, using any HDMI converter will just show a black screen. You can still use composite video normally

Blabby

When the VGA patch is installed, using any HDMI converter will just show a black screen. You can still use composite video normally
That worked, thanks.

UPDATE:

I managed to rip up a trace on the PCB while removing an inductor. How f*cked am I?

Attachments

That's a capacitor, and it's no biggie. It's not needed anyway. Just cut it where it is so it's hanging off.

Portables
None (yet)
Finished my trim, and well... looks like I have *alot* of sanding to do.
What did you use to trim it looks very unclean, when I trimmed a wii the trimming lines were mostly straight. Maybe you speed was too low. but I dont know much everything else looks fine.

Blabby

What did you use to trim it looks very unclean, when I trimmed a wii the trimming lines were mostly straight. Maybe you speed was too low. but I dont know much everything else looks fine.
I used a rotary tool, & the speed was waaay too high for the pcb.