Question Female Micro USB Port

If someone wanted to do what JacksonS had for his WiiSP 2.0 with a female micro usb port that you can connect to your computer to edit the usb flash drive inside, would you need to use a custom pcb like he used, or are there other ways?
Edit: Would this work?
Screenshot_20180509-001422.png

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If the wires were kept as short as possible, helixed, and kept away from power lines, I think a DPDT switch would indeed work as you've drawn. You'd have to be really careful with it, though.

JacksonS

Portables
The data switching idea is correct, but you'll need some way to switch power too. The PC will try to supply 5V into the port, so it would push current through the output of your internal 5V regulator if there isn't a switch somewhere in there.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The data switching idea is correct, but you'll need some way to switch power too. The PC will try to supply 5V into the port, so it would push current through the output of your internal 5V regulator if there isn't a switch somewhere in there.
Will it still transfer data if you do not have any internal 5v connection to the female USB port? As long as there is a common ground, the usb is powered from the internal regulator..it might work

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Will it still transfer data if you do not have any internal 5v connection to the female USB port? As long as there is a common ground, the usb is powered from the internal regulator..it might work
It works, but you would have to keep the regulator on

Okay so what would happen if both 5v from a regulator and 5v from a pc were connected together to the usb? To make sure both 5v isn't going to the usb flash drive to prevent damage to it, I could set a rule to only plug it into the pc once the wii is powered off. Would this work?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Okay so what would happen if both 5v from a regulator and 5v from a pc were connected together to the usb? To make sure both 5v isn't going to the usb flash drive to prevent damage to it, I could set a rule to only plug it into the pc once the wii is powered off. Would this work?
If the 5v from the regulator and the 5v from the PC were connected, it can cause issues on the 5v rail for the computer's PSU. You could have it switch what is powering the drive along with the data lines

If the 5v from the regulator and the 5v from the PC were connected, it can cause issues on the 5v rail for the computer's PSU. You could have it switch what is powering the drive along with the data lines
So I would need to find a 9 pin switch? 3 for the input from the switch, 3 for the input from the Wii/Reg, and 3 for the output to the USB drive. And this switch would need to be able to sustain 5v and 500mA

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Rather than try to have some sort of massive physical switch sticking out of your portable, you'd want to use a digital switch and a MOSFET of some variety to switch the data and 5v lines depending on what's plugged in/ turned on. That's what Jackson did for his portable, and he's been helping me do something similar with mine. Once I get a circuit that doesn't go up in smoke I'd be happy to help you get your hands on it.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If I'm reading the datsheet correctly, then that IC would be perfect for switching the data lines, but you'd still need another IC for controlling 5v. I'm using something like this for controlling what powers the USB.