Solved Fan not turning on

So I have yet to trim my Wii, but I disassembled it and figured I'd put the cooling kit to use until I get to chance to do the trim. I thought I could just plug the fan into the original fan connector on the Wii, but I do that and it doesn't seem to be running when I turn the system on. Am I doing something wrong? Is it not supposed to work with the Wii's default connector untrimmed?

you're probably trying to plug the fan into the wrong port. there should be a second connector to plug the fan into. the fan should work when you turn the system on.

Oh okay. I was plugging into the one directly next to the USB ports. The only similar connector I see is the one near the SD card slot, but isn't that for the disk drive? Does it matter, or am I missing another one?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The fan from the kit isn't meant to be plugged into that port. You're meant to cut the connector off the kit fan and solder the red/brown wire to a 3.3v location and the black/blue wire to a ground location. It should spin when the system turns on. If it doesn't, you might have a dud fan.

Oh okay then. I just haven't gotten that far yet. I will keep that in mind for when I get to soldering it on though. Thank you!