Question External Wii Hardware Mods

So I've had this idea for awhile, as almost, introduction to hardware modding.

Making a portable Wii without taking it apart.

I know it sounds silly, and maybe not a fantastic idea, but I myself think the idea is much less intimidating than board cuts and directly soldering/ modifying the Wii's components.

Making a portable Wii by:
  • Use the Wii's power cable by wiring it directly to a battery, allowing you to switch between battery and wall power by using separate cords.
  • Shortening the AV cables to direct attach to a small AV compatible screen such as one used for backup cameras
  • Wiring power for a small screen
  • IR bar
The thing I stress is that the I/O ports remain intact and usable, only the cables are modified.

I was just wondering how plausible this idea would be.

what if you did it but instead used a car battery and an n64p for a screen and made it out of wood

Surprisingly, that's not the first I've seen with a car battery... Whats to stop me from using the same batteries used in the most modern portables? Unless there is loads more than voltage conversion going on here, shouldn't it be similar in configuration to a phone charging off a portable battery?

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Realistically, if this is your goal, I would suggest building a docking station, where you would dock the unmodded Wii directly into the custom dock.

Include a display that would go over the top of the Wii, with sensor bar built in directly above said display, include speakers/audio output jack, include battery inside the dock with a switch so you can charge while you play, then swap over once the battery is charged.

I didn't mention all of the directly needed pieces, but just enough for N overview.

I am putting a similar design together in my mind for docking a PSTV the same way.

Realistically, if this is your goal, I would suggest building a docking station, where you would dock the unmodded Wii directly into the custom dock.

Include a display that would go over the top of the Wii, with sensor bar built in directly above said display, include speakers/audio output jack, include battery inside the dock with a switch so you can charge while you play, then swap over once the battery is charged.

I didn't mention all of the directly needed pieces, but just enough for N overview.

I am putting a similar design together in my mind for docking a PSTV the same way.
I like the idea of a dock, never considered it. Just need to keep it kind of slim in order to keep it semi, portable, Would like to keep it roughly the same size of the Wii, only modifying the thickness. Like the Gamecube + Battery + Screen?

Acronell

Aquafam
I like the idea of a dock, never considered it. Just need to keep it kind of slim in order to keep it semi, portable, Would like to keep it roughly the same size of the Wii, only modifying the thickness. Like the Gamecube + Battery + Screen?
You only need to add the thickness of the screen, and the casing to the dock itself, you can add the rest in the sides around the docking space for the Wii.

Code:
|         |TTTTTTTTTTTTTT|      |
|         |TTTTTTTTTTTTTT|      |
|______________________________|
Keep the Wii in the center, screen goes over it, the rest of the dock guts go around the unmodded Wii, including batteries.

Spacing is a bit off in the diagram, but I'm sure it's good

Acronell

Aquafam
I just realized you want the opposite.

Same thing, but instead just have enough space to dock the Wii behind the screen, and keep the battery connection in a separate piece of the dock that locks into the back/connects directly from the back, so you can swap out the Wii at your leisure

I just realized you want the opposite.

Same thing, but instead just have enough space to dock the Wii behind the screen, and keep the battery connection in a separate piece of the dock that locks into the back/connects directly from the back, so you can swap out the Wii at your leisure
Exactly! Just a bit confused on how to go about wiring up a battery pack using the Wii's I/O cables... Do you know of any great guides for this or references? I've like, scoured the internet, but there is nothing really about running the Wii on a battery, save those centered around hard-wiring one to the motherboard.

Acronell

Aquafam
Exactly! Just a bit confused on how to go about wiring up a battery pack using the Wii's I/O cables... Do you know of any great guides for this or references? I've like, scoured the internet, but there is nothing really about running the Wii on a battery, save those centered around hard-wiring one to the motherboard.
Well long ago in the heyday of BenHeck, I got a battery pack wired up to run a GameCube directly off the power jack for the intec screen that ran off the same power supply, which lasted about 2 hours of gameplay.

Actually, this should be basically what you'd need. Mod it up, and attach a battery pack to run it

Well long ago in the heyday of BenHeck, I got a battery pack wired up to run a GameCube directly off the power jack for the intec screen that ran off the same power supply, which lasted about 2 hours of gameplay.

Actually, this should be basically what you'd need. Mod it up, and attach a battery pack to run it
I see, that item would be perfect if it was available in the U.S. Its like $60 to ship that here. I might have to do a bit more research. I plan on upgrading later to a 7" screen, but this is what I have. It runs a video/audio out, with the red being a power IN. The thing was perfect for a school project I had awhile back, because it had its own housing and a way to cover the screen when not in use.

My Battery pack would need:
  • A cable to plug in to the existing power jack for the screen
  • A cable to plug in to the Wii
I think really that's all it is. Does Ben Heck still have any stuff on that? I watched his Wii Laptop stuff but it seemed to run off direct power?

Some kid from my school did this except he but it in a brief case and used a battery from those mini cars you get at toys r us. He also used a 7 inch screen and had slots for controllers it's pretty cool and it makes a great melee machine for long car rides. He let us play it in my study and it brought back some good mems