Worklog Ewhizz Portable Wii

BocuD

Portables
Going from 320 to 400 to 1200 should be fine. It is not great but the wii should work. Those resistance values look good btw, it should work but for safety I would sand it with 400 and 1200 to be sure.

Ewhizz

Found some 600 and used that. Retested the resistances they were all pretty much the same (a touch lower) but I was testing at a different GND point. My CMB has arrived am wondering if this is how to hook up the 18650s to achieve 7.4v 6800 mAh? (See image below) also is 24awg wire thick enough for the voltage lines too and from the batteries? Thanks

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Found some 600 and used that. Retested the resistances they were all pretty much the same (a touch lower) but I was testing at a different GND point. My CMB has arrived am wondering if this is how to hook up the 18650s to achieve 7.4v 6800 mAh? (See image below) also is 24awg wire thick enough for the voltage lines too and from the batteries? Thanks
Yes that is exactly how you want to hook the batteries up. It shouldn't matter what ground you test from because they are all connected. Your resistances are fine, you were recommended to sand more so that a stray piece of copper that may not have got sanded all the way but isn't touching anything currently wouldn't randomly short something down the line. I would use 22g wire for the main power lines at minimum.

Ewhizz

Am about to test my Wii trim on my tv, I understand you can use these wires as they are shielded. Which part should I cut and which wire should I use? And do I solder this wire to the 3 in the below image?
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Am about to test my Wii trim on my tv, I understand you can use these wires as they are shielded. Which part should I cut and which wire should I use? And do I solder this wire to the 3 in the below image?
Thanks
It doesn't matter which wire you choose to cut. They should all be shielded. Make sure it's a first party cable though because some 3rd party cables have shitty shielding. I've used a GameCube cable before so what it should look like when you cut it and strip off a bit at the end is a smaller wire with strands of wire wrapped around it. You can separate the strands and the internal wire in two different directions then treat the shielding strands as your ground wire (connect both ends to gnd) and the internal wire as your composite line. I personally prefer using the wifi antenna wire as it is a much thinner shielded wire but it's a lot more difficult to work with. Just make sure all of the strands are separated because if any of the shielding touches the exposed composite line wire your composite line will be shorted to gnd and you'll get no video signal.

Ewhizz

As in these wires? So if I solder one end to to the '3' point in the above image and then id only need to solder the other end to a yellow composite plug? Also my cables are official Nintendo.

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
As in these wires? So if I solder one end to to the '3' point in the above image and then id only need to solder the other end to a yellow composite plug? Also my cables are official Nintendo.
Yes those are shielded wires you just cut the end off and strip the thick wire then find the smaller (it's very small and clear in the antenna wire) and strip that too. But for that tiny antenna wire I just use my iron to melt the insulation since it's so thin.

You connect one end of the internal wire to the composite output on Wii mobo and the other end to the screens composite input. Then connect both ends of the shielding to ground.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Is soldering the composite wire here (the 3 at the base of the capacitor) a good spot?
Yep! That's where I choose to wire my video (assuming you mean on the top side of the cap relative to your pic so you get that extra filtration). Nice and easy. You can also use that tiny little via next to it to ground your shielded wire.

Ewhizz

Okay good , I was mucking around with my Bluetooth module and accidentally slipped with a Stanley knife and sliced the mobo a bit (see the blue circled bit) how can I test if I've broken it .
Thanks

Attachments

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Oh boy that's a bad spot to have a scratch... If the system turns on (outputs video) you should be good, but you scraped the ram chip and the traces for the ram... If you cut too deep there is no saving that board.

Ewhizz

Damn, have never tried the board before is it worth testing for continuity on either side of those traces ? Or checking the resistances between various points (1,1.15,3.3,5 to GND ect.)

BocuD

Portables
Damn, have never tried the board before is it worth testing for continuity on either side of those traces ? Or checking the resistances between various points (1,1.15,3.3,5 to GND ect.)
Test between the two sides of those traces. Try carefully scratching the traces like you do with bluetooth. Do it for 1 or 2 traces on either side and test continuity. If there is no continuity your wii is dead. The only way to make it work would be resoldering all of those 6 traces which is basically impossible. Good luck. If it works buy a lottery ticket cause youd be so damn lucky.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
To prevent this happening in the future, I recommend getting a fibreglass pencil to expose the traces instead of a knife.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Multimeter tips also are a lot easier to wield against traces than a knife. I just rub the trace over and over again like a pen on the trace until I have the copper exposed like I want.