El Cheapo - My First Wii Portable

So a while back I decided to make a wii portable using my childhood wii that hasn't been touched in AGES. I have extremely limited experience and an even more limited budget so I'm working with what I have and planning the ever living crap out of everything before I set down purchases. Research is the name of the game right now. I'm stuck with the literal og 6 layer so it will be a bit of a challenge on the powering side but I'm willing to roll with whatever punches come my way.

My original plan was to go the open source G-BOY route and cross breed the 4layer shop components and whatever components I can find but I'm 90% sure its not 6 layer friendly so here is what I have to do before even touching anything:
- Make sure all possible premade PCBs out right now are compatible with OM6 (RVL-PMS, GC+2, U-Amp 2)
- Find the best power source for 6 layer
- Get all the wiring I don't already have
- Display
- COOL
- Plan form factor with all the parts in mind
Then I gotta:
- Do it

(If anyones reading this... is there confirmation on the 4layer custom pcbs working with 6 layer ((and specifically first revision boards)) or do I have to do this from ground up)
(also is there like a powering chart I can use for doing 6 layer because every guide is 4 layer based)

Edit: looking into 4 layer because simplicity

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If you're gonna spend $100+ on 4-layer tech's boards, you should really just spend the $20 on a 4 layer Wii. Doubling your battery life and having a smaller cooling system is worth it. I'm not sure if the RVL-PMS provides enough power for a 6 layer board, GC+ and U-amp should work fine though.

If you're gonna spend $100+ on 4-layer tech's boards, you should really just spend the $20 on a 4 layer Wii. Doubling your battery life and having a smaller cooling system is worth it. I'm not sure if the RVL-PMS provides enough power for a 6 layer board, GC+ and U-amp should work fine though.
Thats fair I guess. It would also simplify the process. I'll save the other wii for more expendable ideas.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
If you're looking for a relatively cheap, 6-layer Wii project, I would highly recommend the Noldendo Micro. It's great because it reuses a ton of stuff from the original wii, and the only real money you have to put into it is the case, PSU, and some misc. buttons / switches / ports. Not only that, it's a great way to dip your toes into the hobby before you set off for a Wii portable. If you make your mistakes now, you'll save a lot more money than if you mess something up on, say, a 4Layer Tech board.

I think you should create your own design around simple premade boards you can get at 4layertech or other source. The Ashida is very well designed however is pretty large. On the plus side, most hobbyists here enjoy the learning curve of creating something yourself rather than building what's already out there.

OK SO! I'm going with a custom design so I'm going to start brush up on my 3D designing. I've decided to re-use an old broken powerA wireless pro-controller for the controls, however I am increasingly unsure of where to cut down the pcb and how to intergrate it with the GC+ 2. I'm not sure if I just scratch the leads and solder or I if I can find a pad where it ends and i can solder. Im also not sure how much I need to remove from the original PCB. I also need to learn how to design the holes for the buttons and joysticks and how to mount it to whatever I design. Are there any resources for how to do that a bit easier or do I just need to do my best with a set of calipers?
(this image is of a powerA usb controller and not a wireless so it might change) But with those two problems solved, everything else is pretty easy pickings.
IMG_3619.jpeg

I also want to double bump on the 4 layer wii... 6 layer wii seem like a good deal even for something like a micro project but you run the risk of getting one with lots of GPU glitch straight out of the box. I built my first noldendo with a 6 layer only to find out it was glitching out hard after finishing it. Wesk said that is common for those early models. Even if you go for a simple micro build, I think its worth going with a 4 layer.

I definitely support going for your own build if you have the skill set. 4layertech boards make everything so easy these days.

Good luck buddy.

dababy

hey i just came across this and am doing literally the exact same thing with the controls. for christmas i got this super cheap chinese knockoff gameboy and cut the mobo to use the controls. my plan rn is soldering directly to the board then wire up to gc+ 2.0 good luck
i will send pics later
here is the knockoff im using

Attachments

Last edited:
hey i just came across this and am doing literally the exact same thing with the controls. for christmas i got this super cheap chinese knockoff gameboy and cut the mobo to use the controls. my plan rn is soldering directly to the board then wire up to gc+ 2.0 good luck
i will send pics later
here is the knockoff im using
Dude that is some major genius! Good luck with that man, I'll be here on the struggle bus because I really want pro controls in my portable.

dababy

thanks! yeah so what my portable is gonna be is basically an altered gboy cuz i love the vertical form but i want to integrate 4layertech boards. heres what ive done: 1) dug up usable parts around my house
2) printed and primed my shell
3) bought my screen/buttons and tools
4) started making my front controller system
my next step is adding rvlution to my wii then make a standard MOBO trim. Right now just waiting for parts.

Attachments

Alright so I got my 4 layer wii and working hardware so I'm waiting for my wii to HDMI converter so i can get the software on! During this time I'm also planning to make the wii micro!

I am currently working on my BOM and El Cheapo is happily being "cheap" because 4layer has the pay in 4. Regardless its gonna end up being maybe $250+ but thats better than nothing. I just hope pay day is the thing that stops this from making me broke.

With that said I have no damn clue how to go about cooling. I have 2 fans lying around from some raspberry pi portables i tried to make and I'm trying to see if I can use those to "save".

Also are battery terminals worth the effort or should I just solder the ends like some projects do.

Anyway I still have a long way to go but this is what the BOM looks like so far. (loosely based off the louii BOM)

the SBBOM (Struggle Bus Bill Of Materials)

Still not gonna buy anything until I know I'm ready/get everything I'm not buying. I must practice patience. (I might buy the wire tho to make the Wii Micro) splits prices. Budget increase 0-0)

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
I have some "cooling kits" almost ready if you want one. 35x35x10mm metal fan, 35x35x10mm heatsink, 70x35x0.8mm copper plate. All I'm waiting on right now are the plates, and they should be at my door within the week. PM me here or on discord if you're interested!

Also, I just checked out your BOM, and I have a few notes:
- The screen you linked is $70 for both the driver board and panel, which you'll need. The $30 you saw is for the driver board only
- For 22awg wire, I'd recommend this multi pack, as it's great to have more than one color
- Here's some good kapton tape

dababy

are u selling several kits because i would definitely be interested in buying one

dababy

Quick update most controls are in and ready to go
Case painted
Screen on its way
Wii prepared to cut

I'll send pictures later!!!!!!!