Worklog EknonCo's PS2 Portable! (I'm a noob, pls help)

Really note what @jefflongo said about your battery diagram, because otherwise that's VERY incorrect. (Forgivable, but I just don't want anything blowing up on you).
Haha, yeah thanks, wouldn't want that to happen. Basically, the batteries are meant to go end-to-end in series, right?

Also,
I'd stick to the green Panasonic 18650 batteries, they'll get you the best bang for your buck.
Do you know where I can get a charger for these batteries? (by the way, I can't get the batteries, as they don't ship to Canada :( I'll go to my local electronics store and pay a little extra for similar ones, or if you know of any other deals on the internet, let me know, thanks.)

I got mine on eBay for a little more than an online store, quick check on the Canadian eBay and there's a ton of them https://m.ebay.ca/itm/4pcs-Panasoni...350913?hash=item465cd7b401:g:Z6kAAOSw5cNYiBho
Ah okay thanks, I'll keep looking.

Oh and I was wondering if anyone knows what this guy is using in his PS2 battery set up:
He says it's a "7.4v PCB" and that "it's a must."

So, do I need to get one of these?:
http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli-ion1865018500batterypackswith9ahighcurrentstartup.aspx
Or maybe this one:
http://www.batteryspace.com/PCB-for-7.4V-Li-Ion-Battery-Pack-3.0A-Limit.aspx

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
PS2 requires at least 3.5A. Best off going with the first one.
Current measurements for a stock board from my trimming initiative thread.
Power Supply: 8.7190 V
Total Current: ~1.033 A

The second one will work fine. The choice is yours.

Current measurements for a stock board from my trimming initiative thread.
Power Supply: 8.7190 V
Total Current: ~1.033 A

The second one will work fine. The choice is yours.
Hey, it's the Gman himself! Haha, I love the GS2, it's a masterpiece.
And while I'm at it, I've seen you everywhere too Dave, funny to see you both here!

But yeah, thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'll go with the first one 'cause it looks nicer and I think it's smaller.

EDIT:
I found out you can share a link to view 3D models in Onshape! Here it is:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1...8774b327667097052d/e/982f90775b03b36e5809f197

I think it's coming along pretty well, tell me what you guys think!
(By the way, at the bottom left you can click the little 'eye' to hide front piece or back piece and see the inside)

Last edited:
Portables
Are you going to 3d print it? Those counter sunk joystick holes will be incredibly difficult to print (assuming its getting printed face down.) You're probably better off printing flat and using a counter sink drill bit and slowly taking material away until you're happy.

Looks great though!

Are you going to 3d print it? Those counter sunk joystick holes will be incredibly difficult to print (assuming its getting printed face down.) You're probably better off printing flat and using a counter sink drill bit and slowly taking material away until you're happy.

Looks great though!
Yup, I was planning on 3D printing. Darn I thought those looked pretty cool, but yeah I suppose I can drill it manually.
I'm glad you like it!
BTW I'm working on the fan grill next. I saw your red faction one, thought that was pretty neat!

Portables
Thanks! Work and family keeping me flat out on the lead up to Christmas so not had any time to spend on it. Hoping new year brings new time tidings.

You could print them, risk without support and manually finish or print with support and manually finish. It's rock and a hard place really.

I'm going to go with printing a slightly thicker wall around them and doing it manually since i did some tests and my CR10 can't quite get the layers right in an oval like that (or I'm not that good with it yet)

Thanks! Work and family keeping me flat out on the lead up to Christmas so not had any time to spend on it. Hoping new year brings new time tidings.

You could print them, risk without support and manually finish or print with support and manually finish. It's rock and a hard place really.

I'm going to go with printing a slightly thicker wall around them and doing it manually since i did some tests and my CR10 can't quite get the layers right in an oval like that (or I'm not that good with it yet)
Ah yes, I keep forgetting that 3D printers still obey the laws of physics haha. In my head I see my 3D model coming out of the printer picture perfect, but thanks for the heads up, lol.

Portables
Ah yes, I keep forgetting that 3D printers still obey the laws of physics haha. In my head I see my 3D model coming out of the printer picture perfect, but thanks for the heads up, lol.
The rose tinted glasses of "I CAN CREATE ANYTHING" lol. All do it.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I had issues with my charger discharging my batteries (as odd as that sounds) so make sure you get one approved by the group unless you have room to drop a relay in also. If I ever do make another portable however, I'll probably power it off of a USB power bank and make everything external.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hahaha, yup that's me right now.

Hey, so I ordered four of these batteries. I need to buy a specific charger to implement a charging jack on the portable right? Does anyone know where I can find one?
Just search ebay for "8.4v smart charger" and see if you can find one not from china. 2A of charge current would be enough for your setup.

I had issues with my charger discharging my batteries (as odd as that sounds) so make sure you get one approved by the group unless you have room to drop a relay in also. If I ever do make another portable however, I'll probably power it off of a USB power bank and make everything external.
Ah, interesting idea, thanks.

Just search ebay for "8.4v smart charger" and see if you can find one not from china. 2A of charge current would be enough for your setup.
Ok, I found this one, and it seems to be the cheapest one on ebay. Does a charger really need to cost $15? lol

But anyway, now that I found a charger I was wondering how I'll actually use it in the portable. How will I make a charging "jack"?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Ah, interesting idea, thanks.

Ok, I found this one, and it seems to be the cheapest one on ebay. Does a charger really need to cost $15? lol

But anyway, now that I found a charger I was wondering how I'll actually use it in the portable. How will I make a charging "jack"?
Smart chargers are more expensive than regular chargers, but this is important because lithium ion batteries need to be charged in a very specific way to be used safely. Hence "smart". To make a charging jack just get a standard barrel jack and hook up the positive and negative leads from your protection circuit to the jack. Usually chargers are center postivie, but obviously check first because this isn't always the case.

Portables
The simplest way is to use a 3 way DPST switch and a 2000uf capacitor. You can find the circuit here very easily but basically there are 2 jacks. One for powering as you're charging and one for charging.

The capacitor is to collect enough energy so that when you switch the console to charging mode it doesn't switch off/reset. It should be wired between the console bound +/-.

Last edited:
Smart chargers are more expensive than regular chargers, but this is important because lithium ion batteries need to be charged in a very specific way to be used safely. Hence "smart". To make a charging jack just get a standard barrel jack and hook up the positive and negative leads from your protection circuit to the jack. Usually chargers are center postivie, but obviously check first because this isn't always the case.
Ah that's right okay, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

The simplest way is to use a 3 way DPST switch and a 2000uf capacitor. You can find the circuit here very easily but basically there are 2 jacks. One for powering as you're charging and one for charging.

The capacitor is to collect enough energy so that when you switch the console to charging mode it doesn't switch off/reset. It should be wired between the console bound +/-.
Ah, interesting, so you're saying that there's one jack for playing while and another one for just charging?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Ah, interesting, so you're saying that there's one jack for playing while and another one for just charging?
Yeah that's the idea. You can't use the same jack for charge and play unless you have a protection circuit which also manages the battery charging. Those do exist which someone has posted about in the battery thread (the "red board") but I'm not sure if that would work for a PS2.