Worklog EknonCo's PS2 Portable! (I'm a noob, pls help)

Hey guys, I've decided to take on the challenge of making a portable Playstation 2. I don't know a whole lot about electricity and wiring and all that, but I think I know enough to take this project on and maybe even end up with a decent product (hopefully with some help from you guys!). So I'm looking to keep it as simple as possible with the minimum requirements. Here are some goals/info:

- 79000 PS2
- USB loader, no disc drive
- composite video
- trimmed motherboard
- second controller port
- second memory card port
- It would be nice to have a video output so that it's basically still a regular PS2 that can be used on a TV (almost like a Nintendo Switch!) but I don't know if this will be possible

Anyway, I'll be posting more info like my parts list later on, thanks for reading!

Portables
Welcome! Just wanted to wish you good luck, making a portable is a pretty rewarding project and I’m sure you will learn plenty along the way.

On a side note, if you are just after composite, you could use a 3.5mm A/V 3 rca cable to get you video out. You would also need to get a 3.5mm 4 contacts female connector like that one or one from your local electronic shop. Then just wire it in-between your PS2 board and your screen board.

Thanks darkwing! I just might try that out towards the end if I have time.

So, here's a spreadsheet (wasn't able to embed a doc) that has my materials and basic plan so far. I checked off the stuff I already have, otherwise I'm still looking.
Tell me what you guys think and if you have any tips.

EDIT:
So, what LCD do you guys recommend? I saw this one on eBay and it looks to be the exact size of a PSP screen, so that should be decent for this project:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-3-TFT-LCD-Color-Car-Rearview-Rear-View-Monitor-Reverse-Backup-Camera-DVD-New-A/152788304790?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Also, what do think about these batteries? They're dirt cheap, but that might mean poor quality:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/302479635129
I don't really wanna spend too much but if guys can recommend some good ones let me know.

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I'd be suspicious of the mAh rating on those batteries, but aside from that:
-I've had a lot of success with different TFT screens for various projects, some of them actually run as low as 6V but they can be "less bright" at lower voltages, still: very flexible, and a good solution
-You'll need an audio amp also. I've used things like this in different projects, but they are rather bulky for a PS2 portable (and in saying that, there's one in the one I'm making ATM): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PAM8403-Audio-Amplifier-Module-Volume-Adjustment-5V/32491012158.html

Aside from that it looks pretty complete. Think lots and be prepared to trip over if this is your first one - we all do. There is no way in hell anyone is seeing photos of my first attempt! lol

Yes, I too thought that 9800mAh rating seemed a little too good to be true! Thanks for reminding me about the audio amp, I'll order one.
And yeah this is my first attempt so I'm sure there'll be hiccups, but thanks for the heads-up lol.

Also, I plan on doing the 6V mod (http://forums.modretro.com/index.ph...xx-motherboard-mod-run-it-as-low-as-6v.11866/). Does this regulator look okay?:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-DC-220V-to-5V-600mA-3W-Isolated-Switching-Step-Down-Buck-Power-Supply-Module/352163934234?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140620075055&meid=47645f161cde4ec8bc784f11d43294e2&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=372114906732&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Finally, do you thinks it's wiser to post my questions here like I am now, or starting a new "Question" thread like I see others doing?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Pertaining to the question about a question thread: I'm really new here so cannot advise sorry.

But pertaining to the 5V regulator: it might pay if you get something bigger than 600mA. A basic PS2 draws about 2A at times (unless we finally get our grubby hands on GMans trimming guide!) so that mightn't provide enough current (one might get 1A could be better, but I use a 3A one which also takes care of audio and a little fan). A hot-tip here is that you can run a wire to a similar transformer by the USB port and remove that one too, also using a hot-air gun to remove the component instead of cutting the leg can be a much neater way of doing things if you're careful.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yes, I too thought that 9800mAh rating seemed a little too good to be true! Thanks for reminding me about the audio amp, I'll order one.
And yeah this is my first attempt so I'm sure there'll be hiccups, but thanks for the heads-up lol.

Also, I plan on doing the 6V mod (http://forums.modretro.com/index.ph...xx-motherboard-mod-run-it-as-low-as-6v.11866/). Does this regulator look okay?:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-DC-220V-to-5V-600mA-3W-Isolated-Switching-Step-Down-Buck-Power-Supply-Module/352163934234?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140620075055&meid=47645f161cde4ec8bc784f11d43294e2&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=372114906732&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Finally, do you thinks it's wiser to post my questions here like I am now, or starting a new "Question" thread like I see others doing?
It's good to keep questions in one spot if you can, otherwise the list gets cluttered by the same questions. Here is good until this section has an official general questions thread.

It's good to keep questions in one spot if you can, otherwise the list gets cluttered by the same questions. Here is good until this section has an official general questions thread.
Okay thanks, will do

But pertaining to the 5V regulator: it might pay if you get something bigger than 600mA. A basic PS2 draws about 2A at times (unless we finally get our grubby hands on GMans trimming guide!) so that mightn't provide enough current (one might get 1A could be better, but I use a 3A one which also takes care of audio and a little fan). A hot-tip here is that you can run a wire to a similar transformer by the USB port and remove that one too, also using a hot-air gun to remove the component instead of cutting the leg can be a much neater way of doing things if you're careful.
Okay cool, I'll keep that in mind. I notice that the guide says to use a "switching" regulator. I went to a local electronics store and the guy there said he'd never heard of that! He gave me this one and I just picked it up since it was just like a dollar:
DSC_1516.JPG

Will this one work? More so, will it work well?

Attachments

Okay thanks, will do

Okay cool, I'll keep that in mind. I notice that the guide says to use a "switching" regulator. I went to a local electronics store and the guy there said he'd never heard of that! He gave me this one and I just picked it up since it was just like a dollar:
View attachment 4558

So, the deal with switching regulators is that they're far more efficient than typical linear regulators like the 7805 you've got there. Ie: less power is lost to heat, which means longer battery life and less cooling. I'd look at the regulator's spec sheet for power loss. If you decide it's too great, it might be worth using a different regulator.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay thanks, will do

View attachment 4558

That only outputs 1A, you need a bit more than that. That clerk needs to learn his shit.... This is the kind of regulator you want for the 6v mod https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/PTH08080WAD/296-32715-ND/1573678 . You'll also need a 16v 100uf capacitor and a 330ohm resistor to make it output 5v.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
In regards to an audio amp, I'd actually reccomend this one. It's considerably smaller and uses buttons to control the volume, which is sometimes easier to implement into a portable than a wheel like the other ones.

In regards to those batteries, if they have 1/3 of the capacity they claim to have then I love Wario. I'd stick to the green Panasonic 18650 batteries, they'll get you the best bang for your buck.

As you look at 3D printing vs Polycase stuff, I'd reccomend 3D printing. It allows you to design screwposts, holders, button holes, supports, and so many things into just a few pieces. And with enough time, sanding, primer, bondo, paint, and love, you can get your case to look just as nice as a brand new Polycase, but in color!

In regards to sandpaper, what are you planning on using it for? If you are going to be trimming motherboards or sanding cases, you will most definitely need finer grits than 40 and 80 grit. The lowest grit I've ever used in any aspect of my project is 220, and I use 600 and 800 fairly regularly.

Good luck with this! You've got a good plan going and I hope to see more progress.

In regards to those batteries, if they have 1/3 of the capacity they claim to have then I love Wario.
Hahahahahahahaaa, Thanks for the suggestions GingerOfOz! Those parts you linked are slightly pricey but you get what you pay for, so I'll probably go for them. About the sandpaper, I forgot why I put that in, lol I read it on a guide somewhere. But yeah I'll stick to finer grits.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm signing off for now, I'll be back on tomorrow.

Hey everyone, couple of quick questions:

- What kind of wire am I mainly going to be using for this project? Any special type that I need?

- If I get those four batteries will I be able to use all of them together for extra battery life? I have a basic understanding of parallel vs. series connections, and I drew this diagram a while ago theoretically using 6 batteries. Does it make sense?:
DSC_1519.JPG

The mAh is different because I was looking at some different batteries, but everything else is pretty much the same. So are the calculations correct? If so, battery life is looking a little low with that mAh rating. What would the battery life be If I use the 4 batteries recommended by GingerOfOz (linked above)?

EDIT:
Also, what CAD software do you guys recommend? If I'm going to 3D print this, I gotta learn the ropes. Preferably something free haha. I've been trying "OnShape" and it's pretty good so far.

Last edited:

- What kind of wire am I mainly going to be using for this project? Any special type that I need?

- If I get those four batteries will I be able to use all of them together for extra battery life? I have a basic understanding of parallel vs. series connections, and I drew this diagram a while ago theoretically using 6 batteries. Does it make sense?:
View attachment 4563

The mAh is different because I was looking at some different batteries, but everything else is pretty much the same. So are the calculations correct? If so, battery life is looking a little low with that mAh rating. What would the battery life be If I use the 4 batteries recommended by GingerOfOz (linked above)?

EDIT:
Also, what CAD software do you guys recommend? If I'm going to 3D print this, I gotta learn the ropes. Preferably something free haha. I've been trying "OnShape" and it's pretty good so far.
I recently switched to fusion 360 and am having a ball. It's free for hobbyists and students.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables

View attachment 4563

EDIT:
22g stranded wire is the thinnest you should go for batteries. I would also highly recommend 32g magnet wire (check the BitBuilt BOM) for wiring data lines from vias or small components. 26/30g wire can also be useful for things you don't want to use magnet wire on. I would also suggest getting these in different colors to help keep things organized.

Also +1 for Fusion 360. I picked it up rather quickly with no prior CAD experience. It's intuitive and has a lot of functionality. Your model looks good so far! As for your diagram you have the right idea but I would like to note that you aren't soldering both ends of the batteries to each other in series. It should look like ---------[- +][- +]-----------

22g stranded wire is the thinnest you should go for batteries. I would also highly recommend 32g magnet wire (check the BitBuilt BOM) for wiring data lines from vias or small components. 26/30g wire can also be useful for things you don't want to use magnet wire on. I would also suggest getting these in different colors to help keep things organized.

Also +1 for Fusion 360. I picked it up rather quickly with no prior CAD experience. It's intuitive and has a lot of functionality. Your model looks good so far! As for your diagram you have the right idea but I would like to note that you aren't soldering both ends of the batteries to each other in series. It should look like ---------[- +][- +]-----------
Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll check around for those kinds of wires. Looks like I gotta try out Fusion 360 too, but I think it's only a free trial?

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll check around for those kinds of wire. Looks like I gotta try out Fusion 360 too, but I think it's only a free trial?
If you're a student it's free for 3 years, although I'm pretty sure if you use it for personal use it's free period.