Dual Shock 4, modding/hooking?

Wulf

Not portablizing, but definitely modding-related.

Right now, I'm running a TwitchPlaysBloodborne on PS4 -
I'm doing this with a hacked RemotePlay app being fed fake controller data. It works pretty well, but trying to enter frame-accurate commands only has about a 50% success rate due to the delays in it running over the network. I'd like to eliminate that by faking direct controller input.

My understanding is that the DS4 has some sort of security chip in it, so slapping in an Arduino directly would need me to overcome that. Instead, I'm thinking I'll just open a DS4 and hook into it there with the Arduino. Ideally, without destroying the controller itself too much.

I have one faulty DS4 that overheats after 2 minutes that I can use for parts (it seems to be overheating in the chip directly above the vibration motor contacts, it'll burn me if I leave it run too long and touch it). Can anybody suggest any workable method of attaching to the soft plastic circuitry from that one? Or is that just destined to fall apart the first time it's stressed no matter what I do?

My soldering skills and gear are rather subpar, so I'd like to minimize soldering. I can probably manage the contacts on the joystick points well enough, but I'm hesitant to start trying to connect to the button contacts and end up with a big glob of shame.

I do have a better soldering iron ordered from China, but that'll take up to 2 months to arrive, at which point only my soldering skills will be subpar.

Does anybody have any more 'esoteric' suggestions? I've been considering paper circuitry... Getting some proper graphite, drawing the contact circuits on a piece of paper, and then sandwiching it between the PCB and the soft-plastic circuit sheet. That would let me break out those contacts and alligator clip to a piece of paper. Has anybody done anything like that? Is it doomed to be nothing more than a gimmick, or can it work in real-life applications?

I tried it with a standard pencil and the resistance was > 3 million ohms after an inch, so I'd need something else.

Anyway, input appreciated. Thanks guys.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Do you have the PS4/computer on a hardwired network? I doubt wiring to a wireless controller would be any better with frame perfect inputs. Also, I would think it would be easier to wire to a third party DS4 rather than an official one since the official ones have the dumb "analog buttons" thing

Wulf

They are on a hardwired network, but my understanding of the DS4 is that it will use the USB cable if available.

I actually started practicing on the faulty DS4 last night. Took a few tries to get a feel for it, but I was able to solder 5 or so wires onto the button pads before I butchered the last one and separated the pad from the PCB. With a less clumsy iron I just might be able to manage it.

The only analog buttons on the DS4 are the shoulder buttons, and it should work fine to just treat them like a digital button. Maybe flip the logic, I'm not sure if they're active high or low.