Worklog Doom's Ongoing 3D Printing Itinerary

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Hey girl hey. As it starts to warm up again in the midwest, I'm working on making a 3D printing venting enclosure so I can print again (it's pretty difficult to vent and use ABS in a house), or at least print outside so just trying to get all my 3D Printing Tasks in order beforehand. I'll keep reusing this thread for whatever I'm currently working on, and this time that is of course MGC. We'll have a printer running PLA all weekend, but it's also nice to have some completed prints already done to show off. It's about a month to the show so here's some things I have designed/found on thingiverse to make and display, with the order of the prints in highest priority. I'm probably going to stream some of these prints too perhaps, as I'd like to make sped up time lapse videos for youtube on printing case parts.

1. Footbaw Horses Keychain x3 from a lost Superb Owl bet. Spooooooooooooortttttttttttssssssssssss.
2. Flashback 2 cart slot holders x2-3 for live mods.
3. MGC Keychain x2 for additional event runners, see if I can make a bunch for 2017.
4. Slimmer MGC prints, probably for magnets.
5. Disk-Kun Japanese FDS Mascot.
6. N64 flat logo print.
7. N64 3D logo print.
8. Lots of Triforce keychains
9. Metroid 8-bit logo keychain.
10. Perhaps some more of RabbitEngineering's Tiny Consoles if Time Permits.

PREVIEWS:

Soon.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Hopefully albino pigs okay cause I don't have any pink filament

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
All pigs are beautiful.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
#ALLPIGSMATTER

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
What do you mean by venting? And why is it bad inside?
I can say from experience, if the room your printer is in isn't huge or doesn't have proper ventilation, the room will very quickly smell of burning plastic. I assume the fumes are toxic as well... I usually stay in another room and run my printer in an extremely open area.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
ABS filament smells pretty bad as it's just melted plastic and *might* be toxic when using it at the high temperatures a 3D printer uses (200-240c). I was originally printing downstairs in a bathroom that had an exhaust vent, but that wasn't enough as I was still getting headaches and lightheadedness. My health is pretty garbage in the first place so it's better for me to err on the side of caution better safe than sorry, so I'm going to enclose my printer in a box (with a plexiglass front to see the prints) and use a fan to push the fumes out through a dryer vent tube attached to an air conditioner window mount venting system. I'll probably wear a mask too. Hard to explain but I am documenting it for my site and I'll post it here as well when I'm finished.

Interesting. I haven't had any problems like that with the ABS but it's possible I'm just not noticing anything possibly harmful. I'll definitely read what ever else you write up.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Bought a Respirator Mask to work on prints in my garage without worrying about fumes while I'm still building the venting enclosure. TIME4M̶E̶M̶E̶S̶PRINTS

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
That looks awesome. I could really use of of those for when I do sword work. Does it come with a visor attachment? I think I've seen one of those with one before.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I've seen them with the faceshield but not at Menards where I bought this one. Those are pretty expensive but probably worth it when going metal work. I'd personally go with a welding mask in that instance though.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
Yeah I've tried a welding mask before; but it's too restrictive and most of them are really only designed for actual welding, plus they don't really do that much for respiration. Really the biggest reason I'd want one with a face shield is because I'm assuming something higher end like this is gonna form a better seal around the nose, because everything else fogs up my glasses.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Progress. 1 of 3 Footbaw Horses keychains printed. Spoooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttssssssssss.

Progress Pictures:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
D I G I T A L S P O R T S

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
HERO TRIANGLES

Got some extras for MGC as well, might print a few more if I have time, we'll see.

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
I love it.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
IMG_7010.JPG

10/10 would ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) again

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)View attachment 324
10/10 would ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) again
As you can see I made our boy SS some Minecraft Minipig Keychain's to appease piglust, and because I didn't send back his MGC package back to him in a timely manner. Didn't have any pink, but #allpigsmatter

Attachments