Question Dolphin Laptop help

i don't know if this is the place to ask this, but if so, can anyone give me recommendations on laptops that'll run dolphin 5.0. The games I wan't to play are mario galaxys and skyward sword. I would like it to be able to go to at least 720p running at full speed. My budget is 600 - 700 give or take. I know you guys are smart with this stuff.

JacksonS

Portables
As far as I know, the best CPUs for Dolphin are in the intel i5 or i7 family. The graphics hardware is not as important, but it should perform better at higher resolutions if you have dedicated graphics hardware. Nvidia is a good choice for graphics.

Finding a laptop with these kind of specs under $700 is pretty rare, but I have used this laptop for dolphin and performance is very acceptable. It can run Super Mario Galaxy 2 smoothly at 720p and sometimes at 1080p if you tweak the settings enough.

BocuD

Portables
I'm currently using a 2012 MacBook Pro, with integrated graphics. Since it can run dolphin (most games) at full speed 720p, with integrated graphics I think that anything with an i5 and hd5000 or better should be able to run it without any problems.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It doesn't necessarily need to be an i5 or i7. Dolphin only uses 2 cores so even an i3 can be sufficient. Having more than 2 cores will allow background processing for other programs (that aren't dolphin related) which may help performance though.

The most important thing for dolphin is strong single thread performance which is why it should be an Intel CPU as pre Ryzen AMD CPUs have really poor single thread performance. GPU performance doesn't really matter as long it is sufficient and 4gb of RAM is plenty, which is like the standard minimum.

As long as you have a 4th gen or higher CPU you should be fine. I would say if you don't choose a laptop with a dedicated graphics card (and don't care about upscaling) intel HD 4600 is as low as you should go.

Another note, you may want to avoid CPUs that end with a U, which denotes ultra low voltage. The goal of these is to reduce power consumption to increase battery life, which may reduce performance in Dolphin. Although newer CPUs are powerful enough for this not to matter.

Last edited:
I have a 2012 i7 MBP with I believe a 650 (?); bootcamp it, set fan curve with "Macs fan control" and elevate. Runs 99% of Wii and GC games at full speed at native, 720 and about 70% of em on 1080. I got mine for like $500 used, awesome deal.