Guide DOL-101 SD Card Slot Installation

Portables
NO SERIAL PORT?, NO PROBLEM!
IMG_0590.jpg

This guide is intended for use with the DOL-101 model of the GameCube, although it may work for DOL-001 as well. This guide will showcase how to wire a generic SD card slot to the non-existent Serial Port 2. While the DOL-101 does not have a Serial Port 2, it does have the capability to have an SD slot hardwiring to the vias on the bottom of the motherboard. Swiss is fully able to read serial port 2, even on DOL-101.

IMPORTANT: For the SD card slot to be recognized, you're GameCube will need a way of running Swiss. In my case, I used a XenoGC (allows burnt DVDs to be read), and a burnt mini DVD to launch swiss. If your GameCube isn't reading the burnt mini-DVD and your XenoGC is installed correctly and lights up, you may need to adjust the POT sensor for the laser on the underside of the Disc Drive.

Generic SD card slot pinout:
To be safe and ensure the SD card doesn't get messed up, attach a 10uF 10V Capacitor from 3.3v to ground. (I used the SMD one used on the SP2SD2)
1604549174289.png

GC MB: Wiring guide
Found from Joeygcpr on Reddit, you can use magnet wire or wrapping wire, but a lot of people have used thin AWG stranded wire. It's easiest to use matching colors, so when you feed it through the motherboard, you can just match up the wires.
WiringColors.png

CUT and Mount
Cut
the metal housing as shown and epoxy the SD card slot on top of the giant capacitor caps. Use some electrical tape between the two to be safer.
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg

After epoxying the SD card slot to the top of the caps, put the motherboard back into place. Put the plastic back on and make a mark with a sharpie to cut the correct sized hole to access the SD card.

My Wiring:
IMG_0585.jpgIMG_0588.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice via soldering, did you have to keep the resistors inline on the connector?