Do these extenders have the same structure as the adapters on normal wiis?

So I found these GC extenders.

(remove the spaces in the link)
amazon . com /4x-Wii-Gamecube-Extension-Cables/dp/B001AI7CF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479408816&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+gamecube+controller+cable

Now, I have a portless wii that doesn't have the GC slots, but it does have the contacts for the GC port hardware. Instead of putting in hardware from another wii, could I strip one end off of these extenders, and place the wires at the appropriate contact points?
Does the wii's GC port hardware have any caveats that would make this solution not work?

I think what I probably need is a hardware diagram of the GC port hardware on the wii, and see if each contact on the controller has an appropriate contact on the wii's mobo.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yes. The only lines you'd need to consider for GC controllers are 3.3V, Data and ground unless you want rumble support.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The Wiis you are referring to contain either the RVK-01 or RVK-02 board, both of which are identical, as far as we know. You can see the detailed pictures of the boards in the "Revision Guide" of my Super Thread.

In short, yes they have the solder pads and traces on the PCB, but they are missing supplementary components, so you are going to have to run a few jumper lines across where some of the missing components are. If I had to guess, I would solder across every one that says "FIL #" next to it. Wether or not these missing components will affect usage is beyond my understanding.

I should have a few leftover gamecube ports. I desolder them from Wiis with a heat gun, so all 4 ports are still connected, and the pins are still straight and undamaged. Bottom of the plastic may be a tiny bit melted, but they should work great. Ill send you one if you want :D

mmm, I don't need you to send me one, since I have like 3 others. I just wanted to know if it's possible because I wanted to mount the extenders elsewhere on the casing.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I would suggest soldering the data lines to the alternate points listed in the guide instead of at the ports, because some pads need to be bridged, and others don't (some pads go between data and ground!!)