DIY USB dolphin bar using IR LEDs

Ewhizz

Hi guys ,
Wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to make my own USB sensor bar to use with dolphin or retropie. I have some 940nm IR LEDs.
Thanks

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Sure, why not.

Take a USB-Cable, two resistors (calculated for your IR-LEDs@5V) and wire it up.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
It's possible, yes. You'll just have to finagle the LED positions a bit to find the optimal distance between them, and how far they poke out of whatever enclosure you're using. You can sidestep much of the effort if you get a cheap fleabay sensor bar and replace the LEDs/resistors and solder a USB cable. You'll probably need more than two LEDs if you want to use it at any decent distance from the bar. Nintendo's sensor bars have 5 or so on each side, so you might need a fair few depending on your intended proximity.

Ewhizz

I think I'd be better off using an existing Wii sensor bar and working out a way to run it off USB 5v.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you have a newer sensor bar, I'm pretty sure they should be able to run fine off 5v. Try it :P Just remember that the LEDs will only light if power is flowing the right way (I don't know the correct way off the top of my head).

Alternatively, you could also buy one of those wireless sensor bars that are battery powered, those will work just fine too