Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
do i smell a lattepanda alpha project :D????
Somehow missed this, sorry!
I've looked into the lattepanda and the relatively small performance increase really isn't worth the massive initial outlay for me unfortunately.

So for anyone watching at home considering building something like this, I've found a fix for the full screen issues I was having with some older games due to the native portrait orientation of the screen. I found a piece of free software called DxWnd which allows you to seemingly run ANYTHING in windowed mode. It also gives you complete control over the size, position, style of window and how it handles mouse input. Best part is I've been able to configure it to run a full screen windowed mode which means anything I previously had to run windowed or just couldn't run at all, now runs beautifully and takes up the whole screen too!

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Had the Wii U out again the other day so thought I'd grab some comparison shots to show size. Damn the Wii U gamepad has a horrible finish for photos, asside from the little scratches on the screen I swear the rest of it doesn't look that bad in person!

IMG_20200910_225126.jpg

IMG_20200910_225135.jpg

Maave

Another quick update.

Top shoulder buttons are all sorted, still working on the design for the lower ones but think I'll have them figured out soon.

In the process of testing different trigger designs I decided to move the lower trigger contact point a bit lower which meant making a new PCB. I decided to try a different design of copper contact instead of the single straight break between the two halves of the pad I was previously doing. It seems obvious now but this works so much better than the simpler version as the contact pad doesn't have to be perfectly flat to trigger the button. This makes the buttons much more reliable and doesn't require the button to be pushed hard to ensure a flat connection. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is designing their own pcb contacts.

View attachment 12967
Can you show how this connects to the main PCB?

I love the living hinge for the trigger btw, I'm definitely going to try that

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Can you show how this connects to the main PCB?

I love the living hinge for the trigger btw, I'm definitely going to try that
Capture.PNG

They are actually soldered directly to the PCB. Not really sure if its a good idea or not. The board is supported by the inside of the grip but I suspect they could cause issues in the future if the solder joints get fractures in them from being pushed on. I'm planning to re-do the PCB's in this using some proper PCB software and when I do I will be swapping to right angle pin headers for my shoulder PCB connections if I've got enough room.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
i knew that this thing was a commercial sample :XD:

Yeah I've been seeing pictures of this thing for a few months now. Kind of like a mix between mine and the real concept UFO. Keen to see if they actually make it to market!

wow I'm just excited about this project. Please tell me where to find or get a 3D model. I really want to repeat

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
wow I'm just excited about this project. Please tell me where to find or get a 3D model. I really want to repeat
Don't necro 3 year old threads. Dmcke5 did not make the files public so if you'd like to get your hands on the files you should try DM'ing him.