Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
that trigger design is awesome. Great use of a 3d printed spring mechanism, you're making me rethink my whole trigger design :rothink:
Thanks, honestly it's made me re-think the way I design things too. Funnily enough, the shoulder buttons are what I was stuck on for the longest amount of time during the design phase. I completely redesigned the outer shape of the housing about 5 times in the process and I still ended up with a design that initially didn't work at all. These springs only happened because they were just about the only option I had left without having to remake the housing, and luckily they are terrific! I've done something similar for the lower triggers too and they are working great now. I've definitely learnt a lot in the process!

Here's a picture just to keep it interesting!
IMG_20200703_202844.jpg

This was running through steam link. I've messed around with steam link a lot over the last few days and I think it's now my favourite thing to do on this device. I've been playing my way through Pokemon sword using Yuzu through steam link and it's working really well! I get the occasional bit of lag but honestly for the sort of games I'm going to play like this it'll be fine. Also tried pcsx2 over steam link and it works alright too, although it feels a bit slower to respond than Yuzu so not sure what the go is there. Anything that steam supports seems to run really well, I tried portal 2 and borderlands 2 and both of them were definitely playable (although I suck at shooters on a controller so I'll probably stick to the PC for that mostly). This is all on 5g wifi, not 2.4. I suspect it would be even quicker if the host PC was connected by LAN, but I can't easily do that so this will have to do for now.

Thanks, honestly it's made me re-think the way I design things too. Funnily enough, the shoulder buttons are what I was stuck on for the longest amount of time during the design phase. I completely redesigned the outer shape of the housing about 5 times in the process and I still ended up with a design that initially didn't work at all. These springs only happened because they were just about the only option I had left without having to remake the housing, and luckily they are terrific! I've done something similar for the lower triggers too and they are working great now. I've definitely learnt a lot in the process!
super creative, glad it worked out for you. I think my case design is finalized to the point of no return, but maybe in the next portable Ill try this spring idea, its awesome!

Looking great and what a thread to follow! You could probably brush a little black paint on the camera hole under the glass just so it matches the rest of the black border if you wanted. I've opened up tablets and accidentally scratched the black border under the glass and a little black paint fixed it right up so nobody could tell haha.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Looking great and what a thread to follow! You could probably brush a little black paint on the camera hole under the glass just so it matches the rest of the black border if you wanted. I've opened up tablets and accidentally scratched the black border under the glass and a little black paint fixed it right up so nobody could tell haha.
Good tip! I tried tape but as you can see, it didn't work all that well. I need to pull the touchscreen back out and paint under it black anyway so I'll give that a go while I've got it out.

Holy cow, this looks better than an actual commercial product! Stunning work!

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Got the battery management issue sorted a few days ago. This little app is controlling the LED behind the mode button so I now have a battery status without windows needing to know an actual battery percentage.
IMG_20200716_181156.jpg

I'm pretty much done now, just slowly working on a video for the final submission. Also playing WAY to much Pokemon sword on it which is slowing me down a bit, but totally worth it :D

miccio

How can you controll the rgb lights?are they connected to the arduino mini?sorry about my poor knowledge...:眼球

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
How can you controll the rgb lights?are they connected to the arduino mini?sorry about my poor knowledge...:眼球
Yeah they are addressable RGB lights (much like what you'll find on high end PC gaming components) which are controlled by the Arduino that is built into the controller PCB. Windows is then sending battery information to the Arduino over the USB port so it can correctly colour the led to indicate battery voltage.

miccio

Can you just release a photo(only about the rgb around the joysticks is enough):\,really want to know where you lay them..i could only found the rgb rings which huge sizes in shop,really need some helps and ideas:(:(:(

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Can you just release a photo(only about the rgb around the joysticks is enough):\,really want to know where you lay them..i could only found the rgb rings which huge sizes in shop,really need some helps and ideas:(:(:(
No worries, none of it is a secret so happy to share pictures of anything I have forgotten to show.
I used individual WS2812 LED's soldered to the controller PCB. I've only got one LED on either side of the joystick surrounds as I just didn't have enough room for any more than that. I may get some professional PCB's made at some point in the future which should allow me to cram a bit more gear in. I'd love to get the LED's directly behind the ABXY buttons but really not sure how you'd do that. I'm pretty sure there are smaller addressable RGB lights so that may be an option in the future if I go with a professionally made PCB.

Ignore the gaps in the traces before all the LED's. I was originally going to put capacitors across there but realised I stuffed up and put them in the wrong spot so I ended up just jumping those gaps with wire.

PCB Top View.PNG

miccio

:真棒:sorry for my late reply(got a bad cold and got up late..),reallyreally nice job,expecting for your next masterpiece<3

miccio

:DForgot one question! does it need resistance when connecting the ws2812 led to the arduino?

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
It looks even better in person! How did you manage the passive cooling?
The atom processor runs so cool that even without a heatsink I haven't been able to make it thermal throttle. It has a small heat spreader on it behind the holes in the back cover, that appears to be all it needs.

Whoa! That's amazing! So did painting black on the under side of the glass where the camera hole work out okay for you?

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Submission video complete!

Rule 1 of the contest: “All work must be done by you and only you.”

637505E1-2585-43EE-9BFC-69BA102DBEAA.jpeg

The craftsmanship here is incredible it almost looks like you broke rule 1 of the contest by just buying this straight from a store. I’m jealous that I can’t even come close to this masterpiece this year with my entry, but very glad to see something as deserving as this take the cake for the 5th Annual Contest. Great video and great work! Please make a passively cooled Wii portable next!

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Rule 1 of the contest: “All work must be done by you and only you.”

View attachment 13526

The craftsmanship here is incredible it almost looks like you broke rule 1 of the contest by just buying this straight from a store. I’m jealous that I can’t even come close to this masterpiece this year with my entry, but very glad to see something as deserving as this take the cake for the 5th Annual Contest. Great video and great work! Please make a passively cooled Wii portable next!
I'm still watching marketplace for an appropriate used Wii so it'll happen one day.
May take a break from the massive projects for a little bit though, got some loose ends to tie up on some previous projects before I undertake anything else massive like this again. Still, if I find a more powerful SBC that will be suitable I'll probably drop everything and build another one

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
I'm still watching marketplace for an appropriate used Wii so it'll happen one day.
May take a break from the massive projects for a little bit though, got some loose ends to tie up on some previous projects before I undertake anything else massive like this again. Still, if I find a more powerful SBC that will be suitable I'll probably drop everything and build another one
do i smell a lattepanda alpha project :D????