Question Disc Drive - Disc not spinning

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I really don't know where to start when it comes to troubleshooting the disc drive...when I connect it to the mobo, the laser goes all the way inside, goes to the middle, and then back to the middle. I think it's trying to read the disc, but it's not spinning. I made sure the two plastic switches (latch switch? Idk what it's called) on the little stand alone board are engaged, otherwise it wouldn't do anything. The ribbon cable looks okay as far as I can tell. I checked the pot to make sure it was the correct resistance, but I didn't figure it would matter since the disc wasn't spinning. But for the sake of ruling it out, I checked it. It was only at 90 ohms so I set it to about 190, but it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas? The disc drive was working before the unit was disassembled.

Portables
I have a spare GC disc drive that I actually trimmed up a bit lying around, if you’re interested in trying a new one. Don’t have a GameCube anymore to guarantee that it works, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t. I’ll add a pic when I get home.

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I have a spare GC disc drive that I actually trimmed up a bit lying around, if you’re interested in trying a new one. Don’t have a GameCube anymore to guarantee that it works, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t. I’ll add a pic when I get home.
Thanks. If I can't figure this one out, I'll hit you up.

EDIT: I did some troubleshooting and found that the ribbon cable that goes to the spinner has a damaged wire somewhere. I'm in the process of replacing it to see if I can get it working.

Last edited: