Question Direct LCD drive from Wii

This is such an obvious idea that I can't believe I'm the first person to think of it, but a quick search didn't turn up anything. The input signals on the RVL-AVE seem to be using basically the same multiplexed digital format as the encoder in the GC, and there are already projects that take this datastream and reformat it into say HDMI.

I have a bunch of 480x800 "dumb" TFT panels (sadly not IPS, but at least they were free) - these use a 24 bit 8:8:8 RGB input - so if you took the data being fed into the RVL-AVE, stored it in a line buffer and then clocked it out at the correct rate for the panel (possibly interpolated to fill the pixels).

This would really only work in 480p mode (I guess you could detect the Vsync frequency and line double with some loss of visual quality). And I guess the anisotropic scaling might look a bit nasty, but I cant' think of any basic reason it shouldn't work.

Ah, there you go - as I said, I didn't think I would be the first person to have the idea.

I have to admit I was thinking in terms of a much smaller and less powerful FPGA than that ZYNQ, though. The image looks nice - I take it from the description that it's just linear interpolation on a single line? If so, it's honestly much nicer looking than I was expecting...

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ah, there you go - as I said, I didn't think I would be the first person to have the idea.

I have to admit I was thinking in terms of a much smaller and less powerful FPGA than that ZYNQ, though. The image looks nice - I take it from the description that it's just linear interpolation on a single line? If so, it's honestly much nicer looking than I was expecting...
Yeah the FPGA is way overkill, but that's what I had to work with. Anyway I have ported the project to an ECP5, but I still have to test it (although all the timings constraints tests pass successfully, so it should be fine).

Yes, the image is linearly interpolated on the horizontal axis. It looks really good

You are late to the party :P
I know I'm a bit late, but could you possibly explain to me how this works exactly? I don't know much about digital video signals and things of that sort. Is RVL-DD something I could use with this AT080TN03 V.1 LCD that I have laying around? If so, would I still need to get a driver for it, or would I just be able to use a custom PCB to make it possible to connect to the Wii. I have yet to make any portable aside from a badly made laptop thing, and I want to make something like how you can dock a Switch, where docking provides external GC controller and Sensor Bar power (I'm thinking about at least trying to just get composite throught the AUX headphone port).

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I know I'm a bit late, but could you possibly explain to me how this works exactly? I don't know much about digital video signals and things of that sort. Is RVL-DD something I could use with this AT080TN03 V.1 LCD that I have laying around? If so, would I still need to get a driver for it, or would I just be able to use a custom PCB to make it possible to connect to the Wii. I have yet to make any portable aside from a badly made laptop thing, and I want to make something like how you can dock a Switch, where docking provides external GC controller and Sensor Bar power (I'm thinking about at least trying to just get composite throught the AUX headphone port).
The RVL-DD is still a proprietary board atm, and the supply is dead for now due to the global silicon shortage. Aurelio has said more screens will be added to the compatibility list at a later time, but when that will be I don't know.

The RVL-DD is still a proprietary board atm, and the supply is dead for now due to the global silicon shortage. Aurelio has said more screens will be added to the compatibility list at a later time, but when that will be I don't know.
Well I suppose that's the answer that I pretty much expected. Thanks for the super quick reply though!