Different PS2 slim models; which to use for an easy trimming?

Hello everyone! my project at the current moment is shoving a PS2slim into a PSP2001. I was advised from others on the forum that I should look at the ps2 trimming guide provided here, and while it is very helpful, it made me raise more questions on which model I should use. So far, the models I have seen are the 75001, 77001 and the 79001. But the guide says that any of the 7900X models are useful for the smallest trim. The only issue is that Not many people are selling the 7900X models on the internet ( not reliably anyway) and i wanted to know if I could get away with using any of the older PS slim models. I'm not sure what the differences are ( probably hardware differences) but could you use the guide for any older slim models; I would assume no, but I want to be certain before I purchase a PS2 slim model that may not be compatible with the guide.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The trimming guide is only for the 79000 series, correct. The PS2 90000 series might be OK for portables but you can trim it the same.

The trimming guide is only for the 79000 series, correct. The PS2 90000 series might be OK for portables but you can trim it the same.
hm, alrighty. What series would you recommend for a portable? ( most ive seen online are 75000 series but I can find the 79000 granted its more expensive)

the guide says that the only supported models for trimming are 7900x
I saw, I was curious if the process for the trimming of the other series would be so similar that it could follow an identical process

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I saw, I was curious if the process for the trimming of the other series would be so similar that it could follow an identical process
I would recommend only the 79000 to be used with the guide. The revisions are very different and the trim can not be repeated on the other boards.

I would recommend only the 79000 to be used with the guide. The revisions are very different and the trim can not be repeated on the other boards.
Alrighty, thank you (sry for late response, laptop screen broke) . This is probably a dumb question but everywhere I search, it doesnt give me a concrete answer. So my goal is to fold the PS2mother board like a board game ( so it has room to fit in a modded PSP shell). I wanted to do this by using flexible PCBs( those strips that usually have disc readers be connected to the motherboard) and attaching them to keypoints on the printed circuit to extend the circuits so that the board has the capability of foldind in on itself. By doing this,I can trim the PS2 even further so I can put the board into the psp like scaffolding. Im not sure if this is possible to do but, I have seen from the PS2 trimming guide on how you can shave the surface of the board to reveal a copper plate and solder it for voltage purposes, which gave me hope that its pissible since i could do the same over the engraved printed circuits and connect the flexible PCB at that point.