Question Did I Screw Up?

Portables
Lol!
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
Jesus! I had no idea that cutting the motherboard was going to be so difficult! I have a 6-layer board and I initially thought it'd be a cakewalk... I was wrong. My dremel veered off course occasionally and I managed to knock off a couple components. My question is, what can I do to possibly get better results and is this board still useable?

You are going to have to sand the sides a crap ton especially since its a 6 layer. Make sure to start out with a low grit like 200 and work your way up to something like 600 or 800. You also want to make sure the edges are really smooth and check for any shorts to ground.

Portables
Lol!
You are going to have to sand the sides a crap ton especially since its a 6 layer. Make sure to start out with a low grit like 200 and work your way up to something like 600 or 800. You also want to make sure the edges are really smooth and check for any shorts to ground.
Ok. Will do!

If you can and I know this is difficult for beginners using a Dremel try to even out that top part if you feel like you can. It would be safer to just sand and even out but I just thought I would suggest that in case

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That board looks like it should still work after a good sanding. As @GarageFactory said, you will need to use a high grit since it is a 6 layer. Don't try and get away with a grit below 600, and always give a thorough inspection before powering it on, since it can be easy to accidentally kill a board or your regs if you send power into the ground plane.

Roxio

Is this the OMGWTF trim, or the OM6 trim? I thought that The OMGWTF trims were for four layer board.

Portables
Lol!
That board looks like it should still work after a good sanding. As @GarageFactory said, you will need to use a high grit since it is a 6 layer. Don't try and get away with a grit below 600, and always give a thorough inspection before powering it on, since it can be easy to accidentally kill a board or your regs if you send power into the ground plane.
Ok. Thank you!

Is this the OMGWTF trim, or the OM6 trim? I thought that The OMGWTF trims were for four layer board.
This is the OM6 because it's 6-layered...

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
C128 and FIL38 are for filtering EMIs. Having removed them might cause some issues (you should try though).

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Next to where you cut there are a bunch of filters that you can use to replace the missing one. I'm not sure if you can find one of those 4-pads capacitors elsewhere on the board.