Question Debugging a broken Wii (unmodded)

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I know everyone seems to be focused on making portable systems and the like, but I'm just trying to fix my regular old launch day Wii that stopped working a few weeks ago.

When I turn on the console, the LED goes green and I hear the disc drive spinning. However, the Wiimote won't sync and there's no A/V output. The TV doesn't recognize a source as being connected. I've read that commonly this happens when the WiFi or Bluetooth modules are disconnected. So I disassembled the system, checked that they were hooked up. They were. I tried replacing both modules, but no dice. So now I've got the system taken apart and am ready to start probing things to troubleshoot this issue.

The modules seem to be getting the correct voltages, but I can't see anything on the data pins with my oscilloscope. I started looking at the A/V. Probing the A/V header, again the rail voltages are there, but the data pins just look like noise. Same with the A/V chip, the 1.8V and 3.3V pins are all correct, but no data that I can see. Of course, I don't know what I would expect to see on a functional Wii.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice on troubleshooting a system like this? I just want to figure out if the issue is something I can fix, like some discrete component, or if it's a dead processor or something, in which case I'll probably have to admit defeat. Thanks!

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Earlier models are known to have GPU failures, back when the Wii first came out there was a bit of news of Wii's going faulty which was caused by a combination of faulty heatsinks and Wiiconnect 24 (apparently). Age and other environmental factors have probably taken it's toll on your Wii. Good news is they are very cheap to replace.

xsping

Recently, i met one broken wii,same sympton as you encountered, cpu went heat but no video out, it was beacuse the liner 1.8v stock regulator was damaged,no 1.8v output from it. when i changed the 1.8v reg, wii recovered to normal.