Solved Cut traces?

Hello I am starting a PSone portable as my first ever portable... I chose that because I bought Ben heck's consel modding book and that was one of the ones he shows u how to do...i was working at desoldering Jacks and ports and somehow I am not sure wen but my something made a scratch over some traces... I can't tell if it went through far enough to damage them so I thought I would show yall more experienced people to see if u can tell14650656158231320329128.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible either way. They look like they've been fully cut but you can plug it in and see if it still works.

A manual test is the best thing to do. It would be too hard to check the continuity from a picture.

Ok well this one of the projects out of ben heck's book. He said to desolder the audio/video jack, lid sensor switch, dc power input, on/offswitch, and the memory card/controller ports....so is my only bet to put them all back?

You only need power and video to see if it still works.
That brings me to my next prob two holes where my video jack go have solder filling them and I can't seem to get it out... I hav a sucker but that didn't work and I hav braid but I must admit that I hav had a terrible time wit braid

The braid is tough, if the pins are stuffed up then don't put the connectors back on. You can just solder on ground and composite video (look for a PSOne video pin out). Hopefully your power port can be soldered back on.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Desoldering braid needs a higher temperature iron to work well.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, I usually have my Weller set pretty high when using braid. It's best to ensure the solder is fully melting when using a braid. If solder doesn't stick to your iron and rolls off when working that usually means the temperature is too low to use desoldering braid

Ok thanks i will have to try that I have a hakko temp control... How high are we talking I was setting it at 683 F... Also the solder that I am tryin to remove is kinda gunky ...i think it must b prty old... I tried adding some new solder to it but that didn't seem to help...

The braid is tough, if the pins are stuffed up then don't put the connectors back on. You can just solder on ground and composite video (look for a PSOne video pin out). Hopefully your power port can be soldered back on.
what exactly do you mean by stuffed up? the pins are fine, but they is solder left in two of the holes that they came out...i am i wrong in thinking that that is a problem and the solder needs to be removed? Or will that not cause problems

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
i am i wrong in thinking that that is a problem and the solder needs to be removed? Or will that not cause problems
It would be best to remove solder from the holes before putting the components back in. It will definitely make it easier to put them back in.

It would be best to remove solder from the holes before putting the components back in. It will definitely make it easier to put them back in.
ok ya...but i was jus going to solder on ground and composite video and not put the jack back on...do i still need to remove the solder?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
In that case, you could probably get away with not removing the excess, just make sure once you solder the wire in, that it's not loose in the solder (eg you can't pull it out with light force)