Custom Regulators

Does anyone have any pictures of their custom regulators wired up to their Wii? I've been looking around but all I see is where the voltages are, on the Wii Trimming Guide. And also, do you need the custom 5v regulator or is that just optional? Thanks

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I assume you are using a PTH08080.
On the Portablizing BOM it has PTH08080WAZTs but I hear a lot of people using PTH08080WAHs though. All I could find for differences were that the WAZT was surface mounted and the WAH was through hole. Does it matter which one I use? (sorry for all the questions)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
On the Portablizing BOM it has PTH08080WAZTs but I hear a lot of people using PTH08080WAHs though. All I could find for differences were that the WAZT was surface mounted and the WAH was through hole. Does it matter which one I use? (sorry for all the questions)
No, it doesn't matter. They are the same thing (except for how they are usually mounted on PCBs)

Portables
3/4
I know that I just got my PTH08080WAH's yesterday and they are through hole mount, (or supposed to be) but they don't fit any perfboard that I have... the spacing is way off. Anyone else run into this?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I know that I just got my PTH08080WAH's yesterday and they are through hole mount, (or supposed to be) but they don't fit any perfboard that I have... the spacing is way off. Anyone else run into this?
As far as I know, most people don't mount their TI regs on perf board. I think most people wire them up and glue them into the case without mounting them to anything else

Portables
3/4
Weird, I've seen it done both ways but the more research I do it seems that people are using custom breakout boards if they do mount them somewhere. Make's ya wonder why they even put pegs on them if they aren't made to fit into perf board, lol!!

I will take your advice and wire 'em up, test 'em and glue 'em in. Thanks for solving the mystery for me... I couldn't figure out how everyone had been mounting these dang things, lol!! :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Well, they are made to fit onto OTHER boards, but not perf board specifically. They are made so you can design a circuit board that the pth08080 module can plug right into.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I just ordered mine, and am for the most part clear on using them despite this being my first custom regulator setup. However, on the datasheet for the pth08080wahs I ordered, it says to make sure the capacitors I use have a certain ripple current resistance.
"When VO > 3.4 V, the 100-µF electrolytic
capacitance must be rated for 650-mArms ripple current."

I ordered 100 micro farad capacitors, but I can't seem to find anything about their rated ripple current or how to calculate it. Should I just assume it's okay?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Should be fine. Feel the capacitor after the system has been running for a bit. If it's hot, you may want to replace it, but most likely it will be at most warm or room temperature.

Hi everyone....i am a new user here. I have seen it done both ways but the more research I do it seems that people are using custom breakout boards if they do mount them somewhere. Make's ya wonder why they even put pegs on them if they aren't made to fit into performance board.

turnkey pcb assembly

Last edited: