Question Custom Regulators

Hi, does anyone know were to get custom regulators after installing PortablizeMii? And how to hook it up? Thanks

Good read-up! I just wonder why can't we use any of the wii's components that are 'lost' when you do the OMGWTF trim? The voltages get converted right? (or is this because the input was 12v but is now 7,5 in the example?)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Good read-up! I just wonder why can't we use any of the wii's components that are 'lost' when you do the OMGWTF trim? The voltages get converted right? (or is this because the input was 12v but is now 7,5 in the example?)
The Wii has an onboard regulator right next to the power socket that feeds the rest of the regulators a set constant 12v. Any voltage input below 10.2v is too low for that regulator, and the Wii won't start. Without custom regulators, a 7.4v pack isn't enough to start the Wii. You can use a 12.6v or 14.8v pack, but 7.4v is too low for stock regs.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I swear I saw SS say that the blue ones get super hot and don't work very well.

I swear I saw SS say that the blue ones get super hot and don't work very well.
Hmmm, I'm unaware who SS is, but ok... I've asked a question to this webshop I linked to, really nice guy he's about to test the board with some of my scenario's 7,4v input/14,4v input and all the required outputs and he called me up personally to ask the purpose and discuss with him if this could be done.

He'll come back to me later today with his test results and also asked about the temperature :) If they run a bit hot it might be possible to maybe cool these components with the fan that's already required to cool the wii :)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
SS = ShockSlayer. He's one of BitBuilt's founders, so his name pops up every so often.

The TI pth08080 regs are the go-to voltage regulators because they've been used in a lot of portables and are considered pretty reliable. That doesn't mean that something else can't come along that's better. I did a quick spot check and can't find where SS made that comment and don't feel like digging through his ~2000 posts, but I do seem to remember the same.

Please post that guy's findings - it'll be interesting to see how efficient they are.

SS = ShockSlayer. He's one of BitBuilt's founders, so his name pops up every so often.

The TI pth08080 regs are the go-to voltage regulators because they've been used in a lot of portables and are considered pretty reliable. That doesn't mean that something else can't come along that's better. I did a quick spot check and can't find where SS made that comment and don't feel like digging through his ~2000 posts, but I do seem to remember the same.

Please post that guy's findings - it'll be interesting to see how efficient they are.
I've just ordered 10 of those things (can always use electronics in other projects if they don't work) but what he found out: Output does not change when set (with that screwdriver adjustment thing) even when voltage lowers or rises (he tested 9v output with 5v to 15v input and it stayed constant, it's step up and down :) ) . He did not have the tools to tell about heat production but mentioned it was not hot to the touch but he mentioned it's quite dependent on running time of course.

I'm really new to Wii-modding and this is going to be my first project (in which i'll to trimming, 3d printing, schematics etc etc etc the works) to hopefully make something awesome.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Did he test with the appropriate output amperage? Under no load, it would be really bad if they got hot. Also, if you get these, make sure to glue the pots in place once you get the right voltage so they don't wobble and change the voltage

Well I've got them at home and they work like a charm, a bit bigger then I expected but that's ok. It can go both up and down in voltage with ease, doesn't seem to be a big loss in amperage when stepping up 12-v to 23-v through the wii power adapter is around 7.3a to 7.0a!

Only problem I just noticed is that it only goes to 1.25v not less.... forgot to read that the wii needs 1.0v and 1.15v:(

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Ah, so it is a boost/buck type, that will most certainly be less efficient than just a buck converter (eg PTH08080)

My experience with the regulators ultimasnake has linked:

If they're the same ones (they look the same) then over 1A they need a heatsink, and 2A is their maximum *constant* amperage.

So they are only good for certain low amperage applications in portables (many of the TI regulators are good for 6A constant).

The worst part about them for me though is the crappy pots they have to adjust the voltage output. The smallest adjustment that you make changes the output a seemingly random amount, and it always returns to the same voltages which are never what you need.

I have used them, they do work, but they are not a replacement for TI regulators.

My experience with the regulators ultimasnake has linked:

If they're the same ones (they look the same) then over 1A they need a heatsink, and 2A is their maximum *constant* amperage.

So they are only good for certain low amperage applications in portables (many of the TI regulators are good for 6A constant).

The worst part about them for me though is the crappy pots they have to adjust the voltage output. The smallest adjustment that you make changes the output a seemingly random amount, and it always returns to the same voltages which are never what you need.

I have used them, they do work, but they are not a replacement for TI regulators.
Thanks for the insights, for now these seem to work for me the step down to 1v from 1.25 will be done with a small Schottky Diodes. Adjusting doesn't seem to be that horrible, the one I own is a bit different from the one on the picture, the pots are blue and seem to work flawlessly with stepdown and can easily raise/lower them with about 0.1v accuracy (even less If I would take my time). This is my first ever project and if I can get this working with these regulators I'm really happy and will consider buying the better solution to make it into a real project they are about 4 times cheaper then the ones you guys use (and for good reason I guess) but first I want to know If i can make it all work including the cut. If I did this and the wii is still alive that means that I can really start my project (which will include concept drawing, moddeling the case in CAD software, 3d printing it, assembly, etc etc etc) and then it seems worth my money.

These regulators work for me on allot of other project to just try out the devices with different voltages (I don't have money for any fancy devices he he )

Oh dear..... and that comes from 'the gman' he he... sigh I just started trimming... Oh well as long as they don't die on me...

Unfortunately the Schottky diode is not letting me go lower then 1.25v... It seems to only bring it back to around 11.97 when I set the output to 12v (from 14v) on my Fluke 77.....

If only I can now find a dutch supplier (instead of Ali express) for my parts...

Last edited:

Bakuku

Portables
Oh dear..... and that comes from 'the gman' he he... sigh I just started trimming... Oh well as long as they don't die on me...

Unfortunately the Schottky diode is not letting me go lower then 1.25v... It seems to only bring it back to around 11.97 when I set the output to 12v (from 14v) on my Fluke 77.....

If only I can now find a dutch supplier (instead of Ali express) for my parts...
Belgium or Holland?

Bakuku

Portables
Probeer RS Component voor regulators.

Translation:

Try RS component for regulators