Worklog Custom GC Controller

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables

Hello. This is a project on which I've been working for the past few weeks. It is a custom GC controller (no Nintendo components have been used).
I've implemented the whole protocol, but I've also included a couple of special features. First of all it can handle perfectly the 3DS sliders without needing any external converter. To do that it must be configured (one time only) through a custom Wii/GC homebrew that will allow to scale the range to fit perfectly the preferred sliders/sticks.
The homebrew will probably also allow to set the rumble intensity :)
The board is just 20.02x19.51 mm (but this is just a prototype board and the dimensions might change on the final revision).

Please notice that this project is still a WIP. As of now I only have to finish the custom homebrew, but besides that everything is working as it should :)

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
Will you be open sourcing this?

I guess the Homebrew would send custom signals to the PIC and then it would save the config in EEPROM?

You could always make a no config version that uses a jumper to pick between analog stick and sliders. But that isn't as cool as a configurable product.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I guess the Homebrew would send custom signals to the PIC and then it would save the config in EEPROM?

You could always make a no config version that uses a jumper to pick between analog stick and sliders. But that isn't as cool as a configurable product.
Yeah but why should I do that?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Plug and play solution? But you're right it might be counter intuitive.
Everyone that might use this will have the possibility to run the homebrew, and it has to be used one time only.
Also even if it is configured for full scale sticks, 3DS sliders would still work, they will just have a reduced range

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
Wicked sick! So did you have to do anything with the handshake between the controller and console? Or just throw the controller info back when it gets the 24 bit signal?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Wicked sick! So did you have to do anything with the handshake between the controller and console? Or just throw the controller info back when it gets the 24 bit signal?
It works exactly as an original GC controller, it's completely plug & play. It handles all the known commands and also can understand a custom one that allows me to set the analog ranges :)

It works exactly as an original GC controller, it's completely plug & play. It handles all the known commands and also can understand a custom one that allows me to set the analog ranges :)
The custom commands thing seems awesome! I'll assume it sends the identifier of a first part GC controller.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Sorry about the vertical video. Few days ago I got in the mail the final revision of the board with rumble support. In this small video I show it rumbling when I press A+B (I was testing it with GC Controller Test).
I've got parts for a bunch of boards. They will be deeply tested to be sure that they work perfectly (so far I haven't run in any problem) and then they will be available :)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Would it be possible to program the double-tact method into the PIC and have two pads on the board for the analog and digital tact. Both tacts would be activated with a common ground so we can use those camera buttons easily. Currently the analog pad is switched with 3.3v and the digital pad with ground. The analog pad needs a 10k pulldown resistor too. It would be convenient to eliminate all that.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Would it be possible to program the double-tact method into the PIC and have two pads on the board for the analog and digital tact. Both tacts would be activated with a common ground so we can use those camera buttons easily. Currently the analog pad is switched with 3.3v and the digital pad with ground. The analog pad needs a 10k pulldown resistor too. It would be convenient to eliminate all that.
Not quite. The PCB has two optional pulldown resistors for the dual tact mod, but the analog switches need to be connected to 3.3v. This has been done to keep compatibility with analog sliders