Custom Crystal (acrylic) Computer

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Hey all!

Sort of an unconventional project for BB but I wanted to share anyways.

I came across some alienware laptop motherboards that would not charge batteries (BMS may have gone out on the board) and I picked up a couple of them VERY cheap. After some tinkering, a couple of iterations, figuring out what connectors do what and mapping out where all the screw holes are via google sketchup (don't hate me), and blindly trying to access the bios this computer was born.

Acrylic was cut and engraved via laser cutter and I am very happy with the result. The RGB LED's are controllable via IR controller (thanks walmart!). The computer sports a full size GTX 1070, i7-7700HQ, 256GB NVMe SSD and 8GB of DDR4 memory. Runs buttery smooth and cool because of the open design!

Let me know what you think!

IMG_7254.JPG
IMG_7255.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG
IMG_7257.JPG
IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7259.JPG

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Looks really sharp - I love it!

BocuD

Portables
Dang that's nice.. How much did you end up paying for the board? Looks to be about a zillion times better then my current 'rig' lmao

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Dang that's nice.. How much did you end up paying for the board? Looks to be about a zillion times better then my current 'rig' lmao
I got 3 boards, 2 of them with the same specs as this computer. Those two I got for 350 and 175. Then I got a board with a i7-4710hq and a 970m for 90 bucks >:D